Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife building

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Knife building

Do any of ya build knives? I think I'm gonna give it a try. looks interesting. I was out with a flashlight a few minutes ago looking through my scrap pile. OH yeah! lotsa supplies out there! I think i'll start one tomorrow. If it turns out good,it will make a special Christmas gift for my daddy. guess it depends what I build first. I'm all about overkill when I get to building things and I've always wanted a heavy beast of a machette.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have thought of it. But too busy right now. I heard a lot of guys use lawn mower blades. Because of the high carbon steel.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    I have thought of it. But too busy right now. I heard a lot of guys use lawn mower blades. Because of the high carbon steel.

Hutch
    i have 4 or 5 sets of 3 blades off my work mower.good idea.a grinder and a few wheels and i bet a guy could fab one up in a day...........dang it bill i think you found a way for me to wast time at work

hawg now you got the ol hamster moveing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    i have 4 or 5 sets of 3 blades off my work mower.good idea.a grinder and a few wheels and i bet a guy could fab one up in a day...........dang it bill i think you found a way for me to wast time at work

hawg now you got the ol hamster moveing
    Or start selling them and finance that new bow. My uncle made one for me years ago and used an elk antler for the handle and made a nice brass butt plate with his initials in it. I'll have to find the camera and post a picture. He hated using the elk antler as the smell was pretty bad drilling the hole in it.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find a good one the old two man saw blades work really well for blades.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Table saw blades are good as well!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wear a mask while drilling antlers, or any other bone. Drilling slower also helps with the odor.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
    Or start selling them and finance that new bow. My uncle made one for me years ago and used an elk antler for the handle and made a nice brass butt plate with his initials in it. I'll have to find the camera and post a picture. He hated using the elk antler as the smell was pretty bad drilling the hole in it.
    i never thought a guy could resale old mower blades,i allway gave them away for scrap.they are 18" and 3 to a set,70.00for 3 new.might just have to start saveing more of them.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

y'all think 1x4"x2" flat stock would be a good start? I decided to do this to late. I woke up to all this cold,wet,white stuff. sittin on couch w the 'puter n a pot of coffee is more appealing. wish i had a garage to work in. I've got a couple old brush hog blades,too.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Hot or cold rolled steel will not hold an edge and just is too soft... tool steel is what you need, 440 stainless is a good knife blade stock... any old files laying around a basterd file works well..Guy around here makes them in all sizes..
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/