Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife building

Post Thanks / Like

Most knifemakers use belt sanders to shape the blade.

You might find this link useful: http://www.engnath.com/intable.htm
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

I've made some knives recently. For some i've used parts of hatchets (turned into tomahawks), for others i bought ready blades and made wood and bone handles. I'm a fan of the Scandi knives (now) and you can find excellent blades at good price for which to make handles as you like them I can make some pictures if anybody is interested.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I can make some pictures if anybody is interested.
    That was a silly question! Of course post pics!
    Firecat 400

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    That was a silly question! Of course post pics!
    no kiddin'! you should never have to ask that,Alex.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

A bit off topic but, when I was in 7th grade one of the projects in our shop class was to build knives.
    We used old 2-man saw blades and belt sanders to shape.
    Shows how much times have changed. Can you imagine a school now that would teach 12-13 year olds how to make their own knife?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    Hot or cold rolled steel will not hold an edge and just is too soft... tool steel is what you need, 440 stainless is a good knife blade stock... any old files laying around a basterd file works well..Guy around here makes them in all sizes..
    Definitely x2.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    A bit off topic but, when I was in 7th grade one of the projects in our shop class was to build knives.
    We used old 2-man saw blades and belt sanders to shape.
    Shows how much times have changed. Can you imagine a school now that would teach 12-13 year olds how to make their own knife?
    I imagine them teaching the kids how to paint their shirts pink
    By the way another cheap source for steel would be old machine-hacksaw blades (hope you understand me, i don't know the proper Eng name).
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I imagine them teaching the kids how to paint their shirts pink
    By the way another cheap source for steel would be old machine-hacksaw blades (hope you understand me, i don't know the proper Eng name).
    Are you talking about a bandsaw blade?
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I remember some old timers making knives out of truck leaf springs. I don't know what exactly leaf springs are made out of (yes spring steel!) buy they seemed to make a lot of them. Is spring steel close to tool steel?

I don't mind a knife that needs to be sharpened occasionally. I despise a knife that is a PITA to sharpen. I have had a couple in the past that were so hard to sharpen that I gave them away.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    no kiddin'! you should never have to ask that,Alex.
    OK, i'll make some photos and try to upload them as soon as possible. For now i'll give a link to a video (the newer knives look much better then the one in the video i think):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ioK4T0_7U
    Here's another one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siI-rVR5pRU