Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Knife building

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    see there ya go...got a good start on it.. Just watch the heat build up when grinding...do not quench in water...air cool only. water jet will do it all drill holes, shape blade , handle all but taper to knife edge.... and yes no using this knife as a prybar when its done....
    I'm having second thoughts about finishing this one. It's to long to be comfortably used as a hunter. and if I cant use it to pry with...what good is a knife that can't be used as aprybar,hammer,screwdriver and hatchet? I think I'll just keep tossin it at cats and kittens and get the proper materials. I want my first to look good
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

its not that brittle...lol keep messin with it till you get your self some good steel. it will help you build a better knife in the long run. seen a lot of em made the same way you are.. if nothing else you'll have a cooler item to toss at the cat...lol

besides In over 25 years in a machine shop ..never seen a guy break a file..and trust me plenty of them, use them wrong
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

its not that brittle...lol keep messin with it till you get your self some good steel. it will help you build a better knife in the long run. seen a lot of em made the same way you are.. if nothing else you'll have a cooler item to toss at the cat...lol

besides In over 25 years in a machine shop ..never seen a guy break a file..and trust me plenty of them, use them wrong
    Hmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you used a file as a hammer.LOL Speaking of breaking things, someone broke the handle to one of our milling machines at the college.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    Hmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you used a file as a hammer.LOL Speaking of breaking things, someone broke the handle to one of our milling machines at the college.
    i will go and try to hammer a nail with a file right now and let you know how it goes.safty glasses will be on

Post Thanks / Like

so nothing happend.i used a 16 penny nail and then 2 i hammerd a 2 inch wood scrwe and a 3 inch wood screw,not even really a mark on the file.but a bit of vibration going through my hand.lol

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

so what can I use instead of a belt sander? maybe one of those flap discs for the grinder? Hmmm. and what,exactly, IS the proper way to use a file. Believe it or not,I've never had a reason to use on. I've always just used my angle grinder. For everything. Even to change a heater core. Most useful tool I've got. It was love at first grind(that's what SHE said,lol)
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here Hawg, I have a 7-1/4" angle grinder that can cut a car in half. I also have a 4" for all the other projects.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    so nothing happend.i used a 16 penny nail and then 2 i hammerd a 2 inch wood scrwe and a 3 inch wood screw,not even really a mark on the file.but a bit of vibration going through my hand.lol
    Yeah, as ES had mentioned files aren't too brittle. I'm not surprised that the file wasn't marked up because that's just how hard they are.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    See their every where... do we even want to know how ?

So digger how did that feal...ROTFLMAO real am wish i could have see your face 1st wack

As for proper use ...well they only cut on the foward stroke ! no matter how may times you rub it back in forth....lol that just dulls it and wears you out
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

See their every where... do we even want to know how ?

So digger how did that feal...ROTFLMAO real am wish i could have see your face 1st wack As for proper use ...well they only cut on the foward stroke ! no matter how may times you rub it back in forth....lol that just dulls it and wears you out
    i will tell ya i had my head back,teeth clenched and was very releavedwhen it did not break.i hit that nail hard.it did get it through my work bench.that and 2 screws.i just wanted to see if i could hammer the screws.lol