Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Knife building

Post Thanks / Like

Files are very hard, it's absolutely no problem to use them as a hammer ... for nails. Making a marble statue would be a problem
    Hawg, if you can't find a belt sander you can use your angle grinder or a benchgrinder, but the result won't look as good as if you use the proper tool. I'm not very used to the angle so i work with a benchgrinder mostly. Just be careful with the heat as it was already mentioned. And don't leave the file project, i've found some videos in YouTube of a Polish guy making awesome knives from files. Will give a link later.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    See their every where... do we even want to know how ?
    I don't want to know.LOL My professor found it on his desk. Someone was probably using it as a hammer.LOL
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    I don't want to know.LOL My professor found it on his desk. Someone was probably using it as a hammer.LOL
    The professor most likely wants to know what the heck happened. Someone needs a grade adjustment! Just sayin.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    The professor most likely wants to know what the heck happened. Someone needs a grade adjustment! Just sayin.
    I think it must have been weak, so when cranking on it normally, the handle broke. Of course, even that is abnormal.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default new design

well, I decided to finish the project. I'm to obsessed with it now. If I start something,I have to finish it the best I can. So,since I wasn't to crazy about the original look,I drew out a different shape and I like it alot better. I'm going to get a flap disc or two today and at least 1 good file and possibly the wood for the handle. Is there any particular type of file that I need or are they all pretty much the same? here's a pic showing the new lines. It'll be shorter OAL to make it more practical for skinning/gutting.

knife4.jpg
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you're going to want a fine file. The other type of file is a coarse file.

By the way, nice job Hawg.

A.S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    well, I decided to finish the project. I'm to obsessed with it now. If I start something,I have to finish it the best I can. So,since I wasn't to crazy about the original look,I drew out a different shape and I like it alot better. I'm going to get a flap disc or two today and at least 1 good file and possibly the wood for the handle. Is there any particular type of file that I need or are they all pretty much the same? here's a pic showing the new lines. It'll be shorter OAL to make it more practical for skinning/gutting.

knife4.jpg
    looking good budy.im really likeing the file knife.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default reshaped

just finished this part up. I used a cut off wheel and lite pressure to remove the excess material. By lite pressure,I mean let the grinder do the work. That way it avoids excessive heat build up. Anyone that's used a grinder or done any metal work will know,the metal starts to discolor if too much pressure is used.

After reshaping the knife,I usedthe grinding wheel to get the curves shaped. Once again,lite pressure and keep the grinding wheel moving in a fluid motion to avoid excessive heat build up. once that was done, I switched to the flap discs. I paid $6 for a 5pk of flap discs(40,60,80,100,120 grit). Since the majority of the material removal was already done,I started with the 80grit to get all the marks from the grinding wheel out. Then 100 to get the marks from the 80 grit out,then 120 for a pretty smooth finish. I'm cutting alot of corners compared to some of the tutorials I've read and watched on Youtube. The biggest reason being that I don't have access to some of the tools. Which,I'm finding out that they really aren't necessary given my metal working experience through the years. I can be quite the artist with a welder,a grinder,and some scrap steel. lol. My first choice when doing any project is to have the proper tools for the job. But that's not always an option,as in this case.

I'm researching this project as I go,and I need to find info about the hardening process. Since I'm already using hardened steel(an old file),do I even need to do the hardening process? How do I get a 20* angle for a good,sharp edge? Asknife5.jpgknife6.jpg always,thoughts,opinions and any info is welcome.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really good so far, though I might make the point a bit rounder, as it will aid in skinning.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade