Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Bow Press?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Portable Bow Press?

Just wondering if anyone ever tried the bowmaster portable press. I ordered one on sale and free shipping for $39.99 and thought that a pretty good price. I know with our Martins you can back the limb bolts off but getting tired of doing that and running the bolts in and out so much fighting this left kick issue. Need to re-serve the peep also so just thought it would make things a bit less time consuming. thanks.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I bought one before I knew that I could back my Slayer off and change strings. Went bear hunting a few years ago and while crossing a waterbar on an old logging road on my mountain bike, I foolishly put my left pedal down, pedal hit high side of water bar, and dumped me off, had to let go of the bike, and of course it landed on my Nitrous cam, and derailed it.

Down the mountain was a small camp that had a picnic table that I tried to use to compress the limbs enough to restring, No good. So now this little bag is always in my hunting pack while I'm bowhunting. Great tool. You won't be disapointed.

http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that's good to hear, just didn't want to keep turning the bolts so much. Thinking I may have to put a twist in the string as well for the peep but hope not. Just need to build me a little holder to set the bow in.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

Post Thanks / Like

you wont be sorry you orderd it.. handy tool and works well. you will regreat taking it out of the package, never goes back in the same, your going to need one of our bagslol its the easest way to store it beside take it along as 4x5 said.. always have them in our camps..one never knows when its needed.
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

I have two goto bow holders that i use all the time, one is a plastic chair that my slayer just happens to set nicely on,

and the other is the table that came with the chairs, has a hole in the center for an umbrella, works great for the bolt to run thru while cranking on the bowmaster.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Well you guys were right that was the best $39 spent on archery for me. Used it tonight to put a twist in the string and reset my dropaway and worked like a charm versus backing limb bolts constantly. Thumbs up for this gadget!!

Post Thanks / Like

any special precautions need to be made to prevent limb damage?
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

@ bowbender there ar two small pieces of leather that come with it to put between the ends and your limbs but they do have rubber pieces on there already as well. Used it twice now with just the rubber pieces and no problems to the finish. Product works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parttimr View Post
    @ bowbender there ar two small pieces of leather that come with it to put between the ends and your limbs but they do have rubber pieces on there already as well. Used it twice now with just the rubber pieces and no problems to the finish. Product works great.
    not concerned about the finish, there is talk about pressing parallel bows properly and causing limb failure if not done right. some say apple presses are not meant to press parallel bows and that you have to have a $900 x press
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    not concerned about the finish, there is talk about pressing parallel bows properly and causing limb failure if not done right. some say apple presses are not meant to press parallel bows and that you have to have a $900 x press
    Leverage is the concern and where you apply it.
    Apple presses have adapters that they sell for parallel bows now. The old apple press use to start pushing the bow from the middle of the limb causing unnecessary force. The portable bow press collapses the limbs from the ends not the middle like the old Apple presses do. X-presses or finger presses like the ez-press push only from the end of the bow limbs acting as if they drew the bow by its string. Same thing with the portable press.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com