Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable Bow Press?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Leverage is the concern and where you apply it.
    Apple presses have adapters that they sell for parallel bows now. The old apple press use to start pushing the bow from the middle of the limb causing unnecessary force. The portable bow press collapses the limbs from the ends not the middle like the old Apple presses do. X-presses or finger presses like the ez-press push only from the end of the bow limbs acting as if they drew the bow by its string. Same thing with the portable press.

Hutch
    Good explanation Hutch. This iea of pressing near the ends of the limbs has become more important as limbs have become shorter. I just wonder how any press made can handle some of these past-parallel limbed bows. It seems a bit scary to even think about. Thank goodness Martin hasn't gone crazy with the concept.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Good explanation Hutch. This iea of pressing near the ends of the limbs has become more important as limbs have become shorter. I just wonder how any press made can handle some of these past-parallel limbed bows. It seems a bit scary to even think about. Thank goodness Martin hasn't gone crazy with the concept.
    Well Barry, on the past parallel limbs I found that they are using 2 adjustable posts that can be moved under the riser, so the riser can not move. That way when the fingers push on the limbs the riser can't pop out of the press.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

@ Hutch thanks for the help explaining this. As I said I have used it twice so far without any problems, beat sthe heck out of loosening and tightening the bolts constantly when tinkering. Did my research and other Martin shooters use it so felt it was a good buy.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

Post Thanks / Like

all i heard was talk about the right and wrong way, never actually heard the cause of the problem. appreciate knowing why people were have problems. i might go buy a bowmaster now too
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation Hutch.

To the other guys, I m on my second Bowmaster. The first one would not adapt to the shorter bows so being the idiot I am I just tied a knot toward one end of the cable. This worked for a while, but I figured a kink like that would let go at some point so got me a newer one. At the same time I got the old style split-limb adaptors as I was shooting split limb bows at the time (Pearson).

Don't let anybody kid you. The Bowmaster isn't the cat's meow when it comes to bow presses, but it beats dropping several hundred bucks for a good one that won't really see enough action to pay for itself. It can be a little slow and hard to crank down but it's about as portable as you'll find. I carry mine in one pouch of my bow case and use it quite often on my bows and others'. For what it costs you'll eventually save that much in gas ($40-50) taking the bow to the shop and learn how to work on your own bow (big dividends) and you can do so on your time schedule. About the only real thing I don't like is that when cranking it down the cable will rub against a cable rod and/or STS rod. I found that just sticking a piece of electrical tape along the side of the rod keeps it protected. Just pull it off when you're done. One other plus is that because it pulls the limbs together near the ends there is no pressure on the riser so there is virtually no way to twist a riser.

Just know that it isn't going to work on most bows with past parallel limbs so live with that thought. There are several others on the market and they're all worth a look-see, but I don't think there are any others that you could stuff into your hip pocket like this one. I got mine for $37 a while back and have to admit it's probably the least wasted $37 I've ever spent on archery gear.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

so i'm assuming matthews z7(sorry i know) is a past parallel, what about any of martins line up?
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    so i'm assuming matthews z7(sorry i know) is a past parallel, what about any of martins line up?
    None that I'm aware of. Take a look at the pics in the catalogs. They are self explanatory.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver