Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengal Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bengal Pro

Hi guys. My question is about the Bengal Pro and other Pro series bows. I need a new bow and am leaning toward the Bengal Pro. I have seen tech reviews who say good and bad things about martin bows. Honestly I am a huge Nugent fan and that's where my curiosity for Martin started. I have seen that Martin has the best customer service in the industry and that 80% of the decision making right there. My thing is all of these reviews state that it is a good enough bow for North America for game up to elk size animals. OK here is my deal, I will probably never hunt Alaska for Kodiak or big game in Africa unless my Powerball aspirations come true. Why would they say that? Could the Bengal pro handle a trip to the dark continent? I also see a lot of complaints of this bow not reaching advertised ibo speeds. I shoot 29" draw and 70# draw. Any ideas? I have shot the Bowtech Invasion and its a nice shooter except for the riser vibration but I really want to find a Martin Pro dealer and give it a shot. So what do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

They must be Martin haters,really i would use that bow or any MArtin bow to hunt anything i desired to.Anyway at your draw weight it would be like a kid in a candy store deciding on what arrow weight and broad head combo i would use on big game animals.
    With today's arrow and BH technology i dont think you or me or really anybody who has a draw weight of close to 60# or above would have much of a problem.
    And i think the bengle pro is a good choice,i think Martin hit a home run with these 2012 bows they just look so awsome,good luck on your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum. i would take my 2010 bengal to hunt anything any place any time if i had the money that is,lol.i hunt elk with mine and my buddy hunts elk with his 60 lb bengal.martin has a bad rap because its a great bow that is not advertised all over the place so alot of people will buy a bow that cost 1000 simoply because top name hunters get paid to shoot them.

i am not a fan boy and would glady shoot other bows but i just can bring my self to spend 2 or 3 times the price on something when martin makes a top knotch bow.the 2011 and 2012 come with the power tuff limbs so there good to go in that department.some people have issues with the 3 pc riser but it is just as strong as a solid riser.

all and all martin does make a awsome bow and gives us archers a break on the price,so in turn we can buy all the bells and whistles to toss on it.

what ever you choose to shoot im sure it will be a great bow for you.i wish you the best of luck on your bow hunt and happy hunting all around.

chris

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

well,since you're a Nuge fan,have you taken notice of Ted's DW? 52# and a Magnus 2 blade head. I'm sure you know the amount of XXL african plains game? The bow you have in mind is beyond capable of taking any game you decide to shoot at. As long as you do your part w proper shot placement,that is. So,have no fear.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Uncle Ted hunts the dark continent and all sort of stuff on his texas ranch, never draws a heavy weight bow, as he say this whipy 50 lbs took out ___ you can fill that in ...lol
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Check out what Ted has to say about 50# bows in Africa if ya wanna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1-7yZTQGvU

On a side note - (as much as I hate to admit it here) I owned a PSE Laser II a long time ago and shot full length XX75 2119's with 125gn heads
    and 5" fletching. Never knew what a chrono was back then but I doubt it shot over 180fps...
    I killed 2 Elk with it - one at 40yds and one at 65+. Both were pass thru's...
    Any quality bow these days will take whatever you wanna hunt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    well,since you're a Nuge fan,have you taken notice of Ted's DW? 52# and a Magnus 2 blade head. I'm sure you know the amount of XXL african plains game? The bow you have in mind is beyond capable of taking any game you decide to shoot at. As long as you do your part w proper shot placement,that is. So,have no fear.
    the last time i saw ted on the tv he was shooting 48 lbs. and his wife has shot deer & some african game with her 41 lb martin .
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

You're getting some good advice above. I wouldn't take too much stock in reviews that "X" bow won't do the job (hunting big game). A lt of these reviews may be made by people who are endorsing the particular brand that they shoot or are paid to shoot. The fact is that any bow with a draw weight of 60# or more is capable of downing tha largest of North American game and most in Africa or elsewhere.

Look at it this way. Many people are still humanely harvesting elk and moose sized critters with 55# recurves which produce much much less energy than a 70# compound. Any 70# compound regardless of brand. Whether a given bow is capable of reaching IBO speed is of little consequence. Hunters don't shoot bows set up to IBO specs. Any compound producing speeds of 250 fps or greater is more than enough for any large critter given that the arrow is heavy enough to carry enough momentum to penetrate to the vitals and has a sharp quality broadhead up front. Setting up one's equipment to the game being hunted and making ethical shots with it is the responsibility of the hunter. The fact remains that the slowest of compounds these days are up to the task. That includes any Martin bow.

I've never, in 35 years of bowhunting, encountered an animal that gave a hoot as to whether they were shot with a bow shooting 300 fps or 250 fps. The end results have always been the same. So my advice would be to shoot as many bows as you like and make a checklist of likes and dislikes of each. Buy the one that you like the most and don't worry about the logos on the limbs saying what brand or model it is.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I've never, in 35 years of bowhunting, encountered an animal that gave a hoot as to whether they were shot with a bow shooting 300 fps or 250 fps. The end results have always been the same. So my advice would be to shoot as many bows as you like and make a checklist of likes and dislikes of each. Buy the one that you like the most and don't worry about the logos on the limbs saying what brand or model it is.
    Amen Barry I agree 110%
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Look at it this way. Many people are still humanely harvesting elk and moose sized critters with 55# recurves which produce much much less energy than a 70# compound. Any 70# compound regardless of brand. Whether a given bow is capable of reaching IBO speed is of little consequence. Hunters don't shoot bows set up to IBO specs. Any compound producing speeds of 250 fps or greater is more than enough for any large critter given that the arrow is heavy enough to carry enough momentum to penetrate to the vitals and has a sharp quality broadhead up front. Setting up one's equipment to the game being hunted and making ethical shots with it is the responsibility of the hunter. The fact remains that the slowest of compounds these days are up to the task. That includes any Martin bow.

Listen to bfisher........he couldn't be more right. Plenty of folks using primitive selfbows to harvest Elk and Moose. A lot of those bows would be hard pressed to reach 150 FPS. I think to many people are hung up these days on FPS attainable with the this bow or that. While speed may help you out with long shots, most bow hunted quarry in North America is taken at shots 20 yards or less.