Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Besides archery, what do you do?

Post Thanks / Like

Not much for me. My first love is guns, second is archery. I used to shoot long distance open sight rifles. Cowboy pistol too. When I was a LEO I also used to compete in Defensive pistol. Before I was injured I also was hardcore into Paint balling with my Autococker. I actually still miss it but my back can't handle the hard running and jumping around the barriers. Now I volunteer as a Hunter's Ed Instructor assistant in my county. I help teach all aspects of Hunters Ed but my main topics are Handguns and Archery. I also collect Police and Corrections badges and patches. I like to go shore fishing with my son when we have time.

Post Thanks / Like

For me a better question and one requiring a shorter answer would be "What don't I do?" The list might get long but here goes.

I've been in archery of one sort of another for 39 years. Shot competitive field shooting in the 70's and early 80's. Never won the state title. Best I could do in the unlimited division was 9th out of 149 competitors, but locally was pretty much top-dog in "78 and '79. Also was an adament bowhunter until just a few years ago till some cervical nerve problems shot me down, during which time the old fire just burned out.
    Still enjoy shooting so just can't surrender completely, but at 64 I realize that I'll never be the shooter I once was.

My second hobby is scuba diving. Originally certified in 1969 I dove for 4 years before taking a hiatus that lasted 32 years. After retiring in Jan 2003 I began once again to explore this activity. I travel with groups from my local dive shop, mostly to destinations in the Caribbean; Florida (4 times), Cayman Islands, Roatan, St. Lucia, Curacao (2 times), Bonaire (10 times), Mexican Riviera Maya (4 times), Cozumel (6 times), and some live-aboards where we stay on the dive boat all week moving to different dive destinations each day. My all time most enjoyable trips have been to Fiji, Austrailia, and the Philippines. All told I've done 30 trips in the last 6 years and will be leaving for St. Lucia again the 7th of Jan.

Coupled with the diving is underwater photo and video, just an added expensive sideline. A camera or video camera cost is about $1000, but the underwater housing and accessories can cost upwards of $4000 each so it hits the pocketbook pretty hard. Then there's the expenxe of a dedicated computer just for doing the editing. Editing; sometimes it takes as long as two months to put a video together from the raw footage, with proper music taking the most time. I might listen to 200 songs in a week to get four or five that work for me.

At home I drive school bus part time. Might sound wierd, but I have come to enjoy being around kids. They keep me thinking young and I think of them as my grandkids when in my care. Safety first. If you can't do it safely then don't do it. One thing I've learned through my training and subsequent travels. People in cars drive stupid, stupid, stupid. Lately this part time job has turned into almost a full time one. It doesn't pay a bunch, but there are other rewards to be appreciated. Been doing this for four years now.

At home there are all the other requirements such as general home repairs and such; mowing, water heater replacements, roof repair, moving the kids (I have two here) from one house to another. I'm one of those jack-of-all-trades master-of-none guys. Then there is the time spent either visiting or baby sitting the grandkids which I totaally enjoy. They're only young once and I'm getting too old to let that pass me by.

Next comes studying and playing the stock market trying to hit that illusive million. The wife? How do you define "extra baggage", but she has to be dealt with. Afterall, she works full time to supply my medical benefits. Somebody has to work and I refuse. Been there and done that. Just wish I could get her to save a portion of her paycheck, but after 35+ years that's a lost cause.

Probably last but not least there are these archery and scuba diving forums. You guys know how much time can be spent on here so multiply that by 9 forums and you can figure I have a pretty full schedule.

Everybody have a Merry Christmas.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

You're a very busy man, Barry! Merry Christmas to you and to your family too! (By the way i'm sure there will be a special Christmas thread in the forum, but you've started it earlier here )
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Besides archery, I hunt, scout, ride mountain bike, make gear, some wood working, gardening, shooting ( rilfle, handgun, shotgun ) and reloadimg

And now in my spare time I'm going to build a takedown riser. See ES's 'Lamination help' thread.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I primarily do art - it's my profession - http://droppixel.com/work/
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I primarily do art - it's my profession - http://droppixel.com/work/
    That can be a broad subject. Please be more specific. Humor me.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    That can be a broad subject. Please be more specific. Humor me.
    Since you asked nicely. I'm a graphic designer, so I spend most of my time pushing type and graphics around. I design stuff ... pretty much the easiest way to put it. I do a lot of the design collateral for my company, I design sales promotional materials, ads, publications, the full monty. I diddle with web design here and there. I also collect/paint designer vinyl toys. That one is a hard one to explain, but the bottom of that page has some of examples of what I have done and my notepad (blog) has a lot of what I do.

It's been a while since I have added anything to my flickr - but here is a good chunk of some of the things I have done - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26358652@N07/

My "artist" facebook has most of the other stuff - http://www.facebook.com/droppixel

Aside from art and graphic design, I'm a huge mma fan and father to 3 under 3 ... so that takes up quite a bit of time Been wanting to get back into riding my bike, used to ride a lot of BMX as a younger lad, but pretty sure that has passed me by and am looking to start riding mountain bikes more.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Fish(mainly bass),make holsters, repair shoes and boots,workout ,ride my 4-wheeler, Muzzle loader hunt and shoot.And be lazy when I want to.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.