Thread: Paper tuning query

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paper tuning query

Having a few issues with this style of tuning. At six feet I am consistantly getting a diagonal tear starting at 2 o'clock to 7 o'clock. The vanes are at the 7 o'clock position. Total tear length is 1''.

My 2nd issue is my knock point has been set already by the previous owner & is solidly set in place.

Any advise on how to proceed would be welcome.

Thanks
    Testing testing

Post Thanks / Like

If you have tried to adjust your rest and still getting the same tear, your arrow spine may be too weak. Depending on your brand of arrow, length, weight these factors can influence paper tuning. Go to carbon arrow university, they have a section that may help with your paper tuning issues and arrow selection. They will also be able to give you the spine of the arrow that you're shooting. My experience with paper tuning is that when moving the rest vertical up or down fixes both vertical and horizontally issue as long as spine is within range for your set up. Whisker biscuits and other rest like quick tune are tough to paper tune. Drop are very easy to paper and broad head tune. Carbon Arrow University has sections on just about everything that you need to know about arrow flight. Hope this helps as I'm sure other has great ID also.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tosi. The site has confirmed I am using the correct spine for my DW & arrow length. Current DW is 53# & arrow length is 28''. At present I am using Easton Eclipse X7 2212 arrows. I am not too worried as it could be down to form as my horizontal & vertical tune is near enough bang on.
    Last edited by darkember; 12-22-2011 at 02:20 PM.
    Testing testing

Post Thanks / Like

Following on with this thread. I have sorted the diagonal tear but now i am left with a horizontal tear fins tearing on the left. I have tried moving the rest to the right as well as reducing the bow draw weight still to no avail. My form is pretty consistant & I am consciousley ensuring i am not torquing the bow by allowing the bow to float in my palm.

Questions i do have: my mechanical release. Does this need to be set to just above the actual bow draw weight? If it is set too hard could it affect arrow flight during release?
    Testing testing

Post Thanks / Like

if there is no clearence problem. left tear indicates week spine. maybe a lighter tip will help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merrill View Post
    if there is no clearence problem. left tear indicates week spine. maybe a lighter tip will help.
    Having reduced the draw weight should remove that issue.
    Testing testing

Post Thanks / Like

If the tear is nock left - move the rest left.
    What bow/cams are you shooting?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    If the tear is nock left - move the rest left.
    What bow/cams are you shooting?
    09 Moab with M2 Pro cam with a draw stop
    Testing testing