Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Saber Takedown?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Saber Takedown?

Forgive me if this has already been asked. I looked around the threads but couldn't find anything, so here goes:

Does anyone know anything about the new Saber takedown? I was planning on getting a Jaguar but may now wait to see how it compares to the Saber. I don't see it for sale at the usual places yet, just listed on Martin's website. Anyone have one of these and if so, how is it? How does it compare to the Jaguar? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

This was worthy of my creating an account just to reply.

My local haunt/shop got one of these in not too long ago, and I figured I'd give it a shot.

My first opinion of it was how mean it looked, since it has quite an aggressive look to it. I don't like that it is in camo only, and wouldn't mind a black ops version. But I know that what you're asking about is performance. So here goes:

The draw is hard to explain... Even at only 40#, it was very firm yet smooth... It was a steady increase all the way to my 27.5", but you were left with no doubt to how harshly it was going to throw the arrow. I have a Bamboo Viper 66" @ 45#, and it has a much smoother draw... But the way that the Saber throws an arrow is ridiculous. It was incredibly consistent and it just launches the arrows downrange.

The only cons I had with the bow were addressed by the shop itself at no charge to whoever ends up buying it. The arrow guide is rubbish, and they replaced it with a better one, and the string was an absolute POS, after just a few rounds the loop's serving began to fray, and the shop owner immediately made a considerably better replacement endless loop string for it.

Overall, I am going to be buying that bow (I've already put well over 100 arrows through it, before and after new string and guide). The only change I am going to make is that I am going to be painting it a matte black.

Post Thanks / Like

Default same here

I've been looking at multiple trad forums trying to find something out about these bows, will probably just have to buy one to see. Not many shops stock anything but compounds these days and the local trad shop where I live doesn't carry much in the way of production bows unless somebody has one in on consignment. I've seen them as low as 199.99, just under the 200 dollar free shipping mark of course on a website. Somebody is selling them on ebay for 212 with free shipping. If you have a longer draw length, this bow should be theoretically smoother draw than the jaguar and less finger pinch due to it's much longer overal length, but that's just a guess since I haven't shot either.

Post Thanks / Like

Just getting back to this thread. I'm still thinking about this bow compared to the Jaguar. Thanks for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Only issue ive had was cheap serving on the string which i replaced and i got my bow in black, shes a shooter and plenty powerful to takedown a whitetail, its a little heavier then the jaguar but just looks better made ive had no real issue with mine and ive had it for about two months now only thing is dont plan on shooting off the shelf unless you rig something up like i have. like its described, it is a compound riser.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

You're all new here so I'd like to welcome you all. Hope you guys come on here regularly. You Seem to have done your homework and tried these bows for comparison. We could use a few more traditional shooters on here once in a while. You add a little zest to the forums.

Barry (admin)
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Had my Saber Takedown for a month

I bought mine from Martin online. I had read about the factory string issue and so as soon as I got mine I replaced the string. The rest that came with mine was made of rubber. I couldn't even attach it so I replaced it with a NAP flipper rest. I'm really enjoying the bow. It shoots great for me.
    2011 Saber Compound
    2012 Saber Takedown

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had a chance to get to the range to really see what my black Saber 45# will do, but I have been shooting in the back yard into the edge of the woods. 20-25 yds. No problems with the string serving yet. Only 40 arrows shot so far. The bow is smooth and consistant. A hammerhead string is the next item on the list to change out. I installed a 2 prong Martin flipper rest and a Montana Blackgold sight that is a spare from the parts box. Right now I'm having a great time relearning traditional all over again although I do bring out the vintage Warthog Magnum(wooden riser). The saber has made the learning curve easier to manage.
    Last edited by USNGMG2; 05-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you guys that you need to make c all to Joel at customer service and voice your opinion about the servings. You're encountering a problems and the powers that be at Martin might not be aware of it. They need to hear what's going on out in the field so they can rectify the problem.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the good info guys. I am going to get either the Jaguar or Saber. I may wait for awhile though. I am new to archery after a long time out of it and need to get my new compound setup and tuned first before I start in on a new recurve.