Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location, Location, Location! Luck, Luck, Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Location, Location, Location! Luck, Luck, Luck!

I have incredible luck.

There are 3 days left of Holiday Antlerless (does or 3" or less antlers) hunting so I planned on going this afternoon. I got there a couple hours early in case any deer decided to get out on the wheat field and eat before the light was too low on the horizon. It sure would be nice to gut a deer by daylight instead of flashlight. I headed to the blind trying not to make too much noise getting there, impossible, but I tried. I got set up about 4:00 PM and began the wait. It was eerily quiet out there which is unusual because the wind is usually whipping around pretty good. I didn't see anything, not a bird, squirrel, armadillo, nothing!

After an hour I thought I noticed something on the other side of the field, it's about 500 yards so I wasn't sure. I got my binos out and and saw one deer standing at the edge of the woods waiting to come out. After a little while she walks out on the field. In a little bit I see some more movement and out comes another deer. Then another deer, then 2 more deer. Before I know it I have 8 deer out out grazing on the wheat. A couple minutes later in another spot here comes some more and before I know it I have 15 deer out on the field. Amongst them was a bruiser of an eight point, not the typical anorexic Oklahoma deer I see, but one that looks like I grew up with in MN. He was a dandy for sure!

While admiring all the deer through the binos I thought I seen more movement to my left. Yep, more deer making there way out on the wheat! 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 more for a total of 23 deer! 23 deer out of range and teasing me. I decided to open the side window of the blind so I could see my far western boundary, low and behold, there are 5 more on that end making a total of 28. I went from seeing nothing, to 28 deer in a matter of 30 minutes. I watched a few little bucks sparring. One got brave and tried to take on big boy but that only lasted about 15 seconds and then he scurried off. I think I could hear big boy snickering all the way across the field.

As soon the sun started going down they were leaving in masses. There were a few stragglers out on the field and three does started working my way. I was thinking I might get to fill my tag if they would get close enough. I wanted to keep the shot to under 250 yards in the fading light since I don't have the greatest scope on my gun (next year I will have a better one!). The three does made it into my self-imposed 250 yard limit and I was sizing them up through the scope. They were stopped and facing directly toward me, but I needed them to turn broadside for me. My gun was nice and solid on my steady sticks, and I was comfy in my chair. It was a waiting game, would they turn before I ran out of light or would I watch until it I couldn't see them anymore? That was my only concern as I knew I was capable of the shot. As I impatiently waited, I heard a coyote howl from behind me somewhere. Instantly the deer got nervous and two of the deer quickly darted into the woods. That left one a couple yards out in the field, I figured she would turn towards the woods to give herself a quick escape route and me a perfect broadside shot. Then another coyote started in behind me, I suppose in response to the first, and my doe started to turn broadside. I watched her take a single leap into the woods as I was in the process of finding the safety with my thumb. I had played and lost the waiting game.

I said I had incredible luck, but I didn't say if it was incredibly good or incredibly bad. I'm not too upset getting to see 28 deer out and about in my hunting area. I'd bet there are folks who don't get to see that many in a complete season much less one day. I'll likely never get to see that again but I will always have the memory. So I guess I would have to say I had incredibly good luck today.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 12-23-2011 at 07:08 PM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I should have put this in Off Topic since it isn't a bow story. Sorry.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I should have put this in Off Topic since it isn't a bow story. Sorry.
    Great story.
    I don't see a problem with where it's posted. We'll see what the others think.
    Last edited by Arrow Splitter; 12-24-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brad, I wasn't sure. I was just so excited about seeing all those deer that I wanted to share it. I'm sure that was a once in a lifetime experience for me.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

hey dont be shorting your self here... you will too see that again just wait tel next season ... seames like deer group up in the late seasons... one elk hut in late nov i had to stop counting mule3 deer when it would get to hard to add the 15 to the 47 we had just seen..... 70 + a day never in my life had I seen so many BIG bucks
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

ES

I hope I get to see that many again!

The real twisted part to the whole story is this. I was planning on hunting the North side where they all were! We didn't have any water at the house all day, there was a broken water main, so I couldn't take a shower and descent myself. The wind was blowing out of the north at about 6-10 MPH so I decided to go to the South side and be down wind. So a twisted bit of fate took me away from my planned hunting spot and made me an observer, not a participant!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

bummer ..look at it this way, had you hunted the south side maybe you get the shot at 1 and conect but never see the rest.... all in how you look at it maybe you see nothing that day or they all come out on the north side... i always find my self at the wrong side of a unit... oh well keep at it
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

My son drove G-Pa thru the wheat the next morning (11:30) and scared 20 + out of the woods. Seems kinda weird that they left cover but they did. I went out that evening and hunted on the north end but didn't have a lot of luck.

The farmer to the north was out running around on his pasture with a 4-wheeler 40 yards away. I'm not sure if he was tending cattle or chasing dogs but he scared up 4 deer they were out about 170 yards by time I seen then coming in from the right. 3 does and a buck. I was trying to size up the does but just wasn't sure if they were big enough or not. I had a shot at them but didn't take it as I would have had to move about 20 yards to get a clear shot, I didn't want to give up my location to any other deer if I moved out to take the shot and it didn't pan out. As luck would have it the only other deer (2) that I saw that night were bucks. I went back Christmas morning in the rain and sat in the blind for about 4 hours and didn't have any luck. I saw two deer butts standing in the woods but couldn't tell if they were does or not before they walked off deeper into the woods.

I went out 5 times during Holiday Antlerless and never got a deer. I guess that is why they call it hunting and not killing. It was fun and if all goes well I will e back next year!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    My son drove G-Pa thru the wheat the next morning (11:30) and scared 20 + out of the woods. Seems kinda weird that they left cover but they did. I went out that evening and hunted on the north end but didn't have a lot of luck.

The farmer to the north was out running around on his pasture with a 4-wheeler 40 yards away. I'm not sure if he was tending cattle or chasing dogs but he scared up 4 deer they were out about 170 yards by time I seen then coming in from the right. 3 does and a buck. I was trying to size up the does but just wasn't sure if they were big enough or not. I had a shot at them but didn't take it as I would have had to move about 20 yards to get a clear shot, I didn't want to give up my location to any other deer if I moved out to take the shot and it didn't pan out. As luck would have it the only other deer (2) that I saw that night were bucks. I went back Christmas morning in the rain and sat in the blind for about 4 hours and didn't have any luck. I saw two deer butts standing in the woods but couldn't tell if they were does or not before they walked off deeper into the woods.

I went out 5 times during Holiday Antlerless and never got a deer. I guess that is why they call it hunting and not killing. It was fun and if all goes well I will e back next year!

It sure is why its called hunting and part of the reason why we do it, on the off chance that they'll be on your side of the field, within range. If I was you, I'd also be back at 'em next year, with the amount of deer you saw during your 5 days in the field, it's just a matter of time till one of them makes that fatal mistake, and you add another freezer filler to your growing body count.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

yep better luck next season, maybe then you can change it from hunting to going out to pick up my venison ...lol
    Darton Fury recurve