Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Bag Target

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by typically8 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I bought one of these 3 weeks ago and am having a tough time removing the arrows. I am shooting Beman ICS w/ Saunders tips. The arrows get stuck and I end up pulling the stuffing out creating a large hole. Any clues/advice?
    Sounds as if you have the wrong size screw in points, is there a small shoulder behind the point?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to bet you are using 5/16 field points. They are 1/64" larger in diameter than the shaft/insert (1/128" around the circumference). Just enough to make them hang up. Best bet is to get smaller diameter points like 9/32". They won't hurt anything and make arrow removal a breeze. If you have a good shop close by you can try Saunders or PDP points in 19/64". Most shops don't carry them and I can never figure out why because this is the proper size for most commonly used carbons.

For those who use Gold Tip arrows you should be aware that their Expeditions, XT, Ultralite and similar sizes use an insert that tapers from 5/16" at the point down to the saft size. They hang up a little due to the reverse taper, but at least they don't tear up the target stuffing and actually make a slightly bigger hole than the shaft when shooting 3D targets. Keeps the rubber from melting onto the shaft.

One of these days the people who manufacture points are going to figure that out. This is one reason I deplore field points
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys you are correct. Two different sizes. Kinda ticks me off when you think of it the kid who cut/sold the shafts said that the tips would fit the Bemans and of course Beman's box did not say what size to use. Oh well contacted the mfgr, i will let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only target i own. i have easily put a couple hundred arrows through it, and im sure it could easily handle a couple hundred more. I had problems with my arrows sticking at first, then i switched the style of my practice tips. i shoot micro-diameter arrows with 125 grain tips. so the tips are a little bigger than the shaft, so the arrows were getting lodged into the target. i had to purchase practice tips that were contoured to match (as best as possible) to match the shaft of the arrow..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

They don't last long in the Arizona sun, but then neither do the boarder jumpers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    They don't last long in the Arizona sun, but then neither do the boarder jumpers.
    LOL

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ... still funny though.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Need to provide some shade for them, those UV rays just kill the outer bag.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

The center on the dot side of my bag is pretty much non-existant now. Some of the other spots aren't too far behind and I just got this thing for xmas - gonna need to look into a replacement cover here sometime soon I think.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Got one of these from my Brother-in-Law for xmas - the thing is awesome, stops shots dead! Next little DIY is going to be building a frame for it to hang the bag and make a paper rack accessory attachement.
    a friend of mine made a frame to hang a bag target out of conduit and zip-ties. 2 pieces of u shaped conduit about 2 feet wide and 30 inches long and 4 zip-ties at the top, 2 to hold the conduit together at the top and 2 to go through the gromits in the top corners of the target and around the conduit so the bag can hang.
    2011 silencer
    2008 trophy hunter