Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow vanes hitting cable?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrow vanes hitting cable?

Got a 2011 Saber for Christmas. Noticed that the one of the cables appears to be in the path of the blazer vanes on my arrow. Can't tell if this is really affecting my shot cause I'm just starting to sight in my bow. I tried playing w/ the cable guard and slide but can't get the cable out of the way enough. Is this something I should worry about?

Post Thanks / Like

can we assume you have the nock indexed correctly. maybe your rest needs to be moved out slightly, who set it up? send pics-would help everyone else help you out - they will be able to see the problem.
    I had a trophy taker on a bowtech with clearance probs but my martins are always good
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures

Here are some pictures. It was set up at Cabelas with an NAP Apache Rest. They used a laser level device to set it up. I'm a newbie, but it seemed like they knew what they were doing.photo3.JPGphoto2.JPGphoto1.JPGphoto.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

It appears that you have an offset guide rod. It seems from your pictures, that it is held in place by 2 set screws in the riser. Loosen the screws and twist the guide rod counter clock wise from your current position, until you achieve your proper vane clearance. I say counter clockwise, as it looks like the offset is around the 6 o'clock position.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
    It appears that you have an offset guide rod. It seems from your pictures, that it is held in place by 2 set screws in the riser. Loosen the screws and twist the guide rod counter clock wise from your current position, until you achieve your proper vane clearance. I say counter clockwise, as it looks like the offset is around the 6 o'clock position.
    x2 This should solve your problem. Welcome to the forum.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Didn't Work

I tried moving the offset cable rod but the vanes still hit the cable. (see new pic). I'm wondering if its a manufacturng issue since this bow was originally manufactured for the trg/sos system. when I got my bow it had a cable slide instead and a had insert explaining that due to problems w/ the TRG/SOS it had been discontinued. Anyway to adjust the rod more? I'm worried the cables will be out of adjustment or have too much friction if they are moved any further.photo.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    x2 This should solve your problem. Welcome to the forum.

A.S
    Would that possibly create torque due to the string being pushed that far out?
    I don't claim to know much & am still basically new to archery but, may seem silly to some. You are using a drop away rest, can't you rotate the nock to where there is adequate clearance? I haven't heard or read anywhere that a vane needs to on top. I've used Bodoodle's that required a vane straight down to work propperly and had no issues with clearance or accuracy.
    Just a thought.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    Would that possibly create torque due to the string being pushed that far out?
    I don't claim to know much & am still basically new to archery but, may seem silly to some. You are using a drop away rest, can't you rotate the nock to where there is adequate clearance? I haven't heard or read anywhere that a vane needs to on top. I've used Bodoodle's that required a vane straight down to work propperly and had no issues with clearance or accuracy.
    Just a thought.
    That is true NN, just rotate the nock.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

As the guys have said, the cheapest and quickest way to try is to rotate the arrow nock so that the inner vane has clearance. Then use a foot powder spray or lipstick on that vane and shoot it to see if there is still any contact with the cables or any part of the rest. If there isn't then you should be good-to-go.

If there is still contact then your next move would be to rotate the rod to give the necessary clearance. You should have enough adjustment so rotate it so it appears to have about 1/8" or so clearance. At this point I wouldn't worry about creating more side torque as you certainly can't continue to shoot it as is. If you have to go this route then pay particuar attention to the angle the cable leaves the cam onto the module. As you shoot the bow keep an eye on the serving at the module to make sure it isn't chafing. The smoother this transition the better, but there will be some wear over time. Just don't let it get a point of chafing or cutting the serving.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Having looked at thoses photos.

1: Has the cable slide been correctly installed? If it was flipped over 180 degrees on the rod the shorter end would be at the back.
    2: I have also tried to view other setups to get closeups of cable slides so I cannot be 100% with the above observation, or if the slider block should be position to the outer side of the rod & not on the rest side.
    3: Smaller vanes can be fitted.
    Testing testing