Thread: Longbow vs. Recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longbow vs. Recurve

Just to chat and see what is everyones opinion why so some like recurves instead of longbows? And same why do some perfer longbows instead of recurve. What are the advantages you gain from recurve that a longbow may not have and what are advantages with longbow? Just like to see everyones opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, viper1434. I can't help you with this question, as I've only shoot recurves and compounds. My brother ( 7 years older ) had a long bow, and took a buck with it, and then actually sawed 6 inches off both ends, cause it was too long! Had a heck of a time restringing it and then could'nt draw it. The bow was 45 lbs to start with, no clue what it ended up at. I've always prefered the shape or look of the recurve over that of the long bow, so that is what I shot.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

that would be my take on it, simpy a recurve is just gonna be a little more manueverable in the woods, looks better, and they are pretty easy to transport when unstrung.

Post Thanks / Like

A recurve bow has more speed and is a little easier to shoot (meaning more accurate) at shorter lenght. A longbow is better for target shooting. I plan to buy a longbow this year and will see if this theory is correct.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

get the best of both worlds...reflex deflex longbow like the savannah

Post Thanks / Like

When I switched from a compound to a TD Jaguar the first (unexpected) thing I noticed was how l-o-n-g it was. I actually hit the seat on my stand this year shooting at a deer behind me so I'm still getting used to it. I think a longbow would be even more of a problem in a tree. Longbows might be great on the ground, but I don't think they work as well from a tree.

mike