Thread: F.O.C. with a heavy arrow

Post Thanks / Like

Default F.O.C. with a heavy arrow

I have decided to increase my arrow weight but do not want to change my broad head. Currently shooting a 340 Easton Axis arrow at 29" with a 100 grain Magnus 4 blade Buzzcut, 50lb Onza 3 at 291/2" draw. I have a dozen new arrows and want to add 10 grains to the front to help stabilize this combination, can I screw a 8/32 allen screw in to the insert behind my broadhead to achieve the desired weight of 425 grains for this setup. Vanes are Blazers.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be easy to do IF you were shooting GoldTip arrows, they have a tip point weight system. If there is enough space in your insert to add an 8/32 Allen set screw and still thread in your point, then yes, it could be done, just add a dab of blue locktite to the set screw.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Elkslayer, seasons over for me and I am going to start building a setup for neat year.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot the same arrows at 29.5" with 100gr tips and it's 425gr total. Just a thought.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    I shoot the same arrows at 29.5" with 100gr tips and it's 425gr total. Just a thought.
    I think the intention of the extra weight at his current arrow length is the FOC increase as in the title. It would make sense that .5" would give you that extra weight needed to hit the 425 mark, but having that slightly shorter arrow with that same weight and adding it up front will keep the FOC up to whatever % he is looking to achieve, at least that is what I gather.

4x5 is right about the GT inserts, I don't know how many other brands they could fit, but it is a good idea to have that as a capability I think. I'm shooting GT right now and have thought about adding some extra weight to my arrows, but that would throw my effective spine down to the weaker end of the spectrum I think and I'm looking at an arrow change at the end of the season anyhow.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff