Thread: The Hunting world of "What IF?"

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Hunting world of "What IF?"

Crazy hunting weekend. Got out yesterday afternoon and sat a ground blind on my Dad's lease. About 30 minutes into sitting a truck pulls down onto the property. Turns out to be a guy that cuts some logs during the off-season so he wasn't supposed to be there. Lucky the primary lease owner wasn't there ... This dumb-arse drove clear down to the back end of the property in his Diesel, assume he picked up some wood and hauled out. About 30 minutes after that, a guy that the primary lease owner gives permission to duck hunt also pulls in with his dogs. At that point I was up in arms, what the heck. Well got lucky and he pushed 3 does to me a little earlier than their normal pattern has been. Problem was they were so on alert from being pushed, that they didn't take their normal trail and just kept pushing on behind me.

Cut to this morning, just rounded the corner out of town and was scanning a yard where some deer have been lately. Turns out there were 2 down there and as we were looking at them 2 more come running down the road and just about ran into the truck. Sadly, those were the only deer we saw on the day. While out on stand, had a turkey concert around 7 a.m. as they were coming down from the roost. Had some fly down on my side of the creek, thinking they would start to head my way I got excited. Well ... they wound up flying back across the creek. About an hour later I caught a brown spot out of the corner of my eye slightly behind me. Thinking it was a doe I slowly turned to see it was a coyote we have seen out there a few times. He is as big as a shepard and one sly dog. He was 20 yards directly behind my tree, but behind a small brush pile ... no shot. Had he come another 15 more feet to the left, he woulda been smoked. He milled around for quite a while, all the while in the area where there are no shooting lanes, circling back and forth and I just waited for an opportunity to take my first coyote. He eventually moved on from where he came from.

With a week left and for me only 2 days really, next weekend, to fill another tag - I'm feeling pretty optimistic it could happen, but there are no guarantees =(
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck DP. I had my last chance this weekend and saw nothing. I checked my bait piles and they had been nibbling on them but not while I was there. Now it is time to plan out modifcations to my stands for next season. I only have 9 months to get ready.

Post Thanks / Like

DP, I wish you the best of luck. I had hte flu for the last 2 weeks of bow season here, so I didn't get out to do any hunting. Looks like coyotes are it until Turkey season rolls around here.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, looking to get it another tag filled up this weekend for sure. After the season ends, I'm definitely going to be pushing my dad to get back out and drop some dogs. The one I saw is a tank and I'm sure he is one of the primary dogs in the pack that is out there. Anything to help the fawns that will be coming in this spring survive, I'm all for it.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff