Thread: Moose hunting

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moose hunting

Just booked a moose hunt in Alberta for Oct. 2012. The guide is only taking 4 hunters for the year, and me, my brother, and father get to be 3 of them. Now to decide what bow to take... Anyone got any advise or suggestions about moose hunting? It'll be my first time ever.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

i have no clus....but simple life hunt then mean beasts.i think he might be your best bet on gettin tips.PM him if he dont chime in.

dang man,that going to be a great hunt.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use the Firecat, take the X or the Onza as backup.

Only advice I can give on moose hunting is,,,,,,,,,,, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJunior View Post
    I would use the Firecat, take the X or the Onza as backup.

Only advice I can give on moose hunting is,,,,,,,,,,, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!
    Just visit I have them in my backyard

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

E,

Just wanted to say i hate u i hate u i hate you lmao. Just kidding, seriously though i can shoot.
    2010 Rytera Nemesis. 63lbs/29dl 292 fps 384gr arrow. Sword 6 pin sight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Just booked a moose hunt in Alberta for Oct. 2012. The guide is only taking 4 hunters for the year, and me, my brother, and father get to be 3 of them. Now to decide what bow to take... Anyone got any advise or suggestions about moose hunting? It'll be my first time ever.
    I don't know, but Simple Life might have some suggestions.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky Dog! Have always wanted to arrow a swamp donkey, take your 70# Onza lll, and your 60# Onza lll for a backup, remember to take lots of photos. Also be prepared for the work that will follow the kill, 700 to 1000 lbs of meat to take care of. Biggest tip I can offer ( since I've never hunted Moose ) is ti wait till he's out of the water, or not going to get in water. the followup work will be twice as hard in water.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your in for a THRILL!

Congrats on the hunt! I think you're gonna have a blast! There is nothing quite like the rush of a 7' tall bull moose with 3'-4' of rack, thrashing the bush, and coming straight at you when you call! Elkslayer is right about your equipment, you're fine there. I grew up in Alberta, where are you going to hunt? When are you going to hunt? The rut takes place about the third week of Sept. But if the weather is to warm they will rut a little later. Also if the moon is full they may not respond to your calls til after dark. If you miss the rut you will likely have to spot and stalk. Not nearly as exciting, but still fun. Don't believe the stories of moose being mean. They're big and makes lots of noise, but as soon as they realize you're not a moose they'll turn away. My Buddy had one charge in so fast that he could have hit it on the end of it's nose with his bow before it turned away. All he had was a bad case of the shakes afterwards. We both laugh and joke about it til this day! Hard to get thrills and memories like that anywhere else! One warning, if you shoot one don't jump him to soon. A moose has a lot of blood. They usually will not go far when hurt, and will bed down. But if you jump them too soon they will head into the deepest part of the muskeg they can find! I wish you the best on what I'm sure will be a great experience! One last thing, DO NOT SHOOT A MOOSE IN THE WATER! IT IS MUCH MORE THAN TWICE THE WORK! Just think of how hard it would be to put a 200-300 lb quarter of meat on your shoulder and then walk through waist deep water with your boots getting stuck in the mud every step! Just a friendly warning from someone who knows.
    Last edited by Skbengal; 01-08-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be hunting in northeast Alberta. Up around Burnt Lake. Hunt starts Oct. 1st. The guide said that's when they really hit the rut in that area. Also said he might change the date to a little before, or after, depending on weather and moose activity. He has 3500 square miles of area, and another 3500 that his buddy has, and we can hunt all of it. No other outfitter is allowed to hunt in that area.

SKB, what kind of broadheads would you recommend? Been using Shuttle T-Locks and Slick Tricks on deer around here, but would a cut on contact be better? Was looking at some Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades.

Of course, taking the .300 Weatherby for back-up or longer shots. lol
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Of course, taking the .300 Weatherby for back-up or longer shots. lol
    Cheater! LOL
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com