Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Tuning

Today I finished my paper tuner so I began to paper tune my bow. Before I paper tuned my bow I used the Laser Bowplane to make sure I had no cam lean, I had center shot setup and the nock was level with the rest. After I shot the bow through the paper tuner This is what I got.
    paper tuner 007.jpg

I reviewed the Easton Tuning Guide and noticed with a pattern like that I should move the nock point up a 1/16" of an inch. So i did. and I did again and again. In fact I had to move it several times before I got what was even close to being dead on. This is what I now have.
    paper tuner 010.jpg

Am I right to not be happy with that? I'm not really sure what else to do. This is a pic of my setup and as you will see the nock is extreemly high. It looks odd. I may be doing something wrong.
    nock 001.jpg
    I should also note that I intend on using FOB's after the bow is tuned properly. As is, although im no expert, the FOB looks like it would not pass the top of the rest correctly....unless it drops significantly when fired. Should I be moving the rest as well? Here is a pic with the FOB installed.
    nock 002.jpgnock 004.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

OK,

I failed to mention that I was shooting cheap walmart arrows because I didnt want to screw up the blazers on my expensive victory V1 arrows. The trophy ridge revolution has been known to eat fletchings. I've been doing some reading and I went to Carbon Arrow University and noticed that if the spine size of the cheap walmart arrows was different (as well as length) than my v1 arrows I'd get problems. So I decided to take a chance and shoot my v1 arrows. Immediatley I noticed in the paper test that the nock was too high. WOW what a difference. I adjusted the nock to what this:
    001.jpg
    I shot 2 more times with similar results. Could I have tourqed the shot or do I need to adjust something else?

Post Thanks / Like

May have torqued it,maybe take a break and shoot it next day and see what it does.

Also so looks like your nock point is high,just doesnt look right.I say start over with noch set 1/8" above level and then paper tune again.
    Last edited by Speedykills; 01-08-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never messed with that rest, but it looks like it is sitting high to me. There's no way the nocking point should be that high. I'd set the rest so it's even with the Berger holes then reset your nock point then paper tune again.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

Those black marks on the bottom fletchings look like an obvious indication that there is contact issues with the rest of some kind, perhaps rest isn't moving out of the way in time or possibly rotating back a ways due to a rebound, + it's really a good idea to always use the arrows you intend to shoot with to do your tuning with, also looks from each of your results that the rest needs to come out a little too, but you do need to ensure you have total clearance first
    Last edited by Buzz Lite Beer; 01-08-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    2011 Shadowcat

Post Thanks / Like

My first guess is your forum, look in a mirror at draw i think u have yer head down ,wrong anchor point or peeps way off, the arrow should never be like that,im sure its hooking up after the shot,if a mirror isnt available have someone take a pix to post here,good luc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Lite Beer View Post
    Those black marks on the bottom fletchings look like an obvious indication that there is contact issues with the rest of some kind, perhaps rest isn't moving out of the way in time or possibly rotating back a ways due to a rebound, + it's really a good idea to always use the arrows you intend to shoot with to do your tuning with, also looks from each of your results that the rest needs to come out a little too, but you do need to ensure you have total clearance first
    That's the walmart arrows that I bought and used for initial setup. I had contact with the rest until i got it situated. Now I've swapped to my expensive v1 arrows and have no contact. It shoots like the pic in my last post. Also the nock is not as high now. I had to move it down after swapping to that arrow. To me, it still looks high but not like before. You said the rest needs to come out. You mean move it left? (POV being aiming at the target)

I'll post an updated pic when I get home this evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Just from the pics - your nock point is at least and inch high, maybe more.
    Also- the rest is way too high. The center pivot point of the rest should be inline with the berger holes.
    Almost looks like a lefty rest mounted on a right hand bow.
    You can kind of use the slide rod as a reference when you look at how your arrow sits.
    Your arrow should basically parallel to the rod when the rest is up.

Post Thanks / Like

My FC400 did the exact same thing. I screwed with it for months trying to get it closer to what should be right. Tuned in as a good 1 inch nock high. Everytime I tried something, it wanted to be VERY nock high. Tore it completely down and re-installed everything. It wanted to be set back to the same screwed up position. Finally, deer season got close enough, I just ended up leaving it alone. Now that deer season is over, I have all year to try to get it right.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default tuning help

had dealing with this rest you may want to send it in to be relace