Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about TRG/SOS conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about TRG/SOS conversion

Talked to Joel the other day, and I'm converting over from the TRG/SOS to a standard rod and slide. My question for anyone that's done this is, did they send an STS of some sort along with the rod and slide, or did you have to buy your own? Thanks guys!
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

What bow are you doing the conversion on? Mine was-is an Onza and the sts came with the cable slide, BUT my riser is not cut to receive the sts so I put on a Limsaver Front Mount. I am debating on sending the bow back to Martin so I can use the standard sts, they will have to cut a groove in the riser for this and the idea does not particulary thrill me.

Post Thanks / Like

The sts came with the rod/slide when I changed it on my son's Leopard.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, I'm changing oner 2 Onza's and a FC400. I looked, and one Onza doesn't have the cut-out machined in. It was an early run bow. Might just leave that one alone. lol Cable wear on it is pretty minimal, and has not gotten any worse since I smoothed out the TRG.
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

Ehunter, I got real tired of changing out the SOS rubbers, must have gone through about four in 1000 shots and my strings were flat and peeling.All this with a 50lb bow. The Limbsaver is pretty simple to install you might have to serve a portion of your string for the rubber stopper. I left the rod on mine long and mounted a Limbsaver mini-s-coil on the end, the bow is pretty dead in hand at the shot. I have twisted the crap out of the strings trying to get back some poundage lost from the trg swap, to day I finally got it back to 47lbs and that's as close I fear as it's going to get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    I have twisted the crap out of the strings trying to get back some poundage lost from the trg swap, to day I finally got it back to 47lbs and that's as close I fear as it's going to get.
    Not to steal the thread or anything, (sorry Ehunter ) but how much draw weight did you lose Cooly? When swapped the TRG out on my Onza I only lost a couple pounds, and only had to put in like 1 twist on one cable and a half twist on the other to get them back to 70...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

wsc, that's entirely fine. I was going to ask him the same thing. lol I've heard that it shouldn't change your weight by more than a pound or two.
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

As per another post I had on this issue, mine is one of the first Onza's, riser is not cut for the factory sts. I measured my strings and brought them into spec's and was only pulling 45lbs, so I began tuning the cams by adding twists into the cables and began to see signs of the cables being over twisted so I stopped and ended up with 47lbs and 33 1/2 " ATA I believe it should be 1/4" shorter according to the spec's for the 2012 charts. The info on the Martin site for 2011 has to be wrong as it post there 32 1/4". Strings are Winners Choice. I am debating on sending the bow back to Martin to have the riser grooved and see if they can bring it back to 50lbs. When the bow was shipped it drew 50.2lbs. I believe the only way to cure it is to have some strings made slighty under the 38" that Marting recommends.

Post Thanks / Like

If the rod/slide holds the cables in closer to centerline than the trg did - then the cables will have to be shorter to put the ata/bh/dl and max dw back to what it was.
    Same with converting from the ccs to a rod/slide. In that case, the cables have to be 1/2 shorter to give the same ata/max dw...
    If the rod/slide has the same offset as the TRG then dw shouldn't change.

Post Thanks / Like

Spiker; I believe you are right on on this assement, the only way to correct this bow is to have some shorter strings made. I am not going to mess with it anymore as it does shoot very well. If I could find the trg/sos I might try to do some measurement/tests, but it is where it rightfully belongs, in a landfill.