Thread: What constitutes as a good target/3D bow?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default What constitutes as a good target/3D bow?

Hey fellas. Looking to get into some target/3D shooting. I was wondering what makes a target bow a target bow. Is it the longer ATA? The shorter BH? Any info would me much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own a "target" bow, but one thing that sets a target bow apart is stability. Just by putting a longer and heavier stabilizer on my bow I'm more accurate. I also believe that longer ATA contributes to the stability of a target bow. That's also why you see the fancy stabilizer systems on a target shooter's bow.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

For targets on flat level ground, I agree extended stabilizers are a good thing. However, if u are into rough 3 D over rough terrain those large stabilizers will become a hinderence especially in the knowledge that you will rarely be standing on a level surface to take your shot.
    Testing testing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.
    2012 Rytera Nemesis - Sword Twilight Hunter Sight - QAD HD Bone Collector Drop Away - WindJammer 7" Stabilizer - 438 Grain Beman ICS Hunter Elites - G5 T3's & QAD Exodus Swept Back Version

Post Thanks / Like

ATA is one big factor when choosing a target bow. That and a higher brace height. Target bows are normally shot at "known distance" targets. Therefore speed is not a criteria to be considered. Stability is what you are looking for. That may also mean a longer, straighter riser (less reflex), and more mass weight than you'd hunt with.

3D is the same, but a little different. Longer ATA is helpful, but brace height can be lower to give more speed, but you still have to have good form to handle the lower brace. Speed is essential, but only if you can handle the bow. Speed is mainly gotten by having a harder cam system, reflexed riser, but again, not so much that you can't draw, aim, and shoot with some stability. It's a big balancing act. I would say this. Go to any money shoot and see what most of those guys shoot and it's going to be a bow no less than 37" with brace heights around 7".

Stabilizer systems can be added to either, depending on the class you'll shoot in each venue. In most cases the longer the better and chosen mainly to balance the bow to your liking. Most bows today don't need much in the way of vibration reduction and noise isn't an issue with a target/3D bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver