Thread: Martin Jaguar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Jaguar

Hello all, I have thinking about getting a Jaguar take down. Problem is i am getting alot of conflicting reads about it on the web. Seems like maybe there was more of a problem a few years back with the limbs, but not really a issue anymore? really like this bow, but do not want buy a headache either.

Thanks, Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Jason. I have no personal experience with the Martin Jaguar. I am eying the new Saber Takedown. I like the Specs on that bow. It looks like it would be a good shooter. The Samick Sage is very popular. Have you been shooting Trad already?

Post Thanks / Like

Back when the Jaguar take down was first introduced, they did have some limb problems, rough finish, and a few other problems but that was a few years ago and since then, all of those troubles have been cured. Now its a nice entry level traditional bow. Well, semi traditional, as it uses an old Jaguar compound riser with recurve limbs, more of a warf than true traditional, but a good bow none the less. I personally prefer to hold wood than metal, like the Samick Sage that Double S mentioned. Again, as Double S mentioned , have you shot recurves before? If not, I'd caution you to select a lighter draw weight than you would in a compound as you will be holding 100% of the draw weight.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same concerns as you do. I figured if Cabelas and BassPro are still carrying the bow whatever issues might have existed have likely been cured. So went ahead and picked up a 35#er as a second bow to play with. Looked at the Sage but couldn't beat the $120tyd price on the Jaguar. Overall impressed w/ the bow. 1 year 100% warranty then prorated 50% cost-coverage for 3 years. Worth a shot.

Pic from local range:
    bow mossrock.JPG

Owner's manual:
    covr.jpgpg1.jpgpg2.jpgpg3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hotburn76 View Post
    Hello all, I have thinking about getting a Jaguar take down. Problem is i am getting alot of conflicting reads about it on the web. Seems like maybe there was more of a problem a few years back with the limbs, but not really a issue anymore? really like this bow, but do not want buy a headache either.

Thanks, Jason
    Last edited by califx200; 01-27-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry to be getting back late. I have been hunting with a crossbow since I was sixteen. About five years ago i picked up a 55# Martin Dream Catcher, or Cast, not sure on the name. I did ok with the bow but was never able to get that 100% confidence feeling with it. I knew shortly after i started shooting it i was over bowed with it being 55# and i think the strain of starting with a higher weight was hurting my shooting more then anything. Since then i have been wanting to get back into the recurve and this bow has had my eye the most. I am looking at getting the 40# model hoping it will be more enjoyable and less straining to shoot. Next question is arrows, by the charts i am looking at getting the 2018's, also i will be using a rest and a sight to start out with, then scale back as i get better. So any help on the arrows and anything else would be great.

Thanks, Jason