Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Disadvantage to Being Overspined?

Post Thanks / Like

Found this video that deals with arrow flex and spine issues, thought it pertained to this thread http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hun...MjYyMTA2OTE0S0
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    Sound like it will be a safe set up?
    I'm sure you'll be fine either way, just remember, with Carbon Express the higher the number, the stiffer the arrow... so your 350's are actually a heavier spine than the 250 arrows.

The 250 arrows are about a 400 spine if I remember right, and you should be fine @ 66#s. Especially if you're going to use a lighter head.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    What if you want to go the other way, making your arrows heavier. I use Victory V-force 400, with 125 gr. BH. Total arrow weight 403gr. Bow currently set to 45#, but will be set to 60# for hunting. For heavier game (moose etc.) I would like a 450-500 gr. arrow. Could I use brass inserts or just a heavy BH or would that get me into red zone? I cannot figure out the charts here.
    Last edited by Wolverine67; 02-04-2012 at 02:36 AM.
    2011 Saber Mag
    DW 60#
    DL 29"
    Victory V-force 400
    NAP Razorbak, ABC Sonic, GK Silverflame 125gr.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to be a few different factors for you. What length arrow are you looking to shoot? If you get too much weight out front on a longer arrow, your effective spine is going to go down. You could potentially keep the length and BH you shoot now just by looking into a shaft that has more GPI while maintaining the same spine. The arrow game is a goofy one
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

A few disadvantages for sure, as have already been pointed out. What are you using these arrows for, and what is your current setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Personally my set up might change soon, but for everyone else interested, I could like to keep the thread/discussion going.

If it weren't changing, I'm shooting the 07 Cheetah in my sig at 29" DW 64-67# - haven't had it on a scale, so that is my estimation. 27.5" Gt Velocity 400s 100g tip/BH. I'm primarily hunting and I shoot 3D.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine67 View Post
    Hi
    What if you want to go the other way, making your arrows heavier. I use Victory V-force 400, with 125 gr. BH. Total arrow weight 403gr. Bow currently set to 45#, but will be set to 60# for hunting. For heavier game (moose etc.) I would like a 450-500 gr. arrow. Could I use brass inserts or just a heavy BH or would that get me into red zone? I cannot figure out the charts here.
    Well, as for me. I am currently at 425 and going to 450 is a simple broadhead/tip change to 125 gr or more. 500+ would require a brass insert, but I'm going the other direction. According to the Backcountry bowhunting caculator I can safely go as low as 330gr, but I'm not sure of the spine. I'm going to start 350-375ish with a 400 spine and see where the noise level is and speed increase. BCB says 303fps?
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

To give you an idea of where I am at, sitting around 340g and I feel like my bow is super quiet. I'm sure if I kicked the weight up it would be even more quiet!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i have always shot underspined arrows, i should be shooting 400 and i shoot 340, with my bow completely maxxed out. ive never had a problem, never broke an arrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
    i have always shot underspined arrows, i should be shooting 400 and i shoot 340, with my bow completely maxxed out. ive never had a problem, never broke an arrow.
    FYI a 340 spine is stiffer than a 400. Don't confuse spine deflection with the name (number) used by some companies like Carbon Express. The model designation on their arrows does not coincide with any spine rating. A Carbon Express 250 is actually a 404 spine and the 350 is stiffer.

Easton/Beman number theirs according to spine. The lower the number the stiffer the shaft. Gold Tip does this with the Ultralites and Velocity shafts.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver