Thread: Home made targets???

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Home made targets???

Can anyone help me please,
    I live in an appartment and have made a target that i shoot at in the hall way ( its about 10 meters away bout still good for practise, what i need to know is what are good things to build a target out of, Mine now is 40 layers of carboard with a folded blanket as a backing placed on a board of wood but ever now and again an arrow goes through the cardboard, blanket and hits the wood. what can i use to stop this please??
    And i am using feild points, 400 spine arrows with a 50# ridge hunter.
    If you need ask why then you will never understand
    2011 Martin ridge hunter 30"DL 51#

Post Thanks / Like

If you have access to a large feed bag most are a type of synthetic some are still burlap,and pack it real tight with old clothes,blankets,old cushions,etc.It will stop your arrows. I tried this with numerous plastic bags from the grocery store and it stopped my crossbow arrow at 10 yards.I didn't have any old clothes.lol If you use clothes remove all the buttons and zippers.Hope this helps
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link look at this it might help.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?19296-Target-DIY!!!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerj View Post
    If you have access to a large feed bag most are a type of synthetic some are still burlap,and pack it real tight with old clothes,blankets,old cushions,etc.It will stop your arrows. I tried this with numerous plastic bags from the grocery store and it stopped my crossbow arrow at 10 yards.I didn't have any old clothes.lol If you use clothes remove all the buttons and zippers.Hope this helps
    I do the same thing with the clothes, but use a box instead of a sack. It's pretty easy to find another box when one gets shot out. No problems with arrows coming out the back side either, as long as the clothes are packed in tight.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Australia many of us have our own home made targets as well but instead of using old clothes we tend to use pallet wrap plastic which most supermarkets / variety stores(walmarts?) will gladly give you for free.
    The good thing about plastic is it is lightweight so easy to move around and weather proof and can be left out in the rain without ending up 10 times its weight if it gets wet like clothing would..
    Rather than make a box to build a target with we use the big striped/checked carry bags and line it with cardboard for indoor use or corflute (plasticised cardboard such as the coke signs used in the link that Hutch referred to earlier in this thread)
    hometarget3.jpg

Many archery clubs here also use the pallet wrap plastic for their targets as well. Our club built all it's new field butts using this material for filling as it's easy to replace and supermarkets/variety stores etc are usually happy to give it to you free of charge etc, long lasting and stops arrows really well.
    newfieldbuttcloseup.JPGnew field butts (1).jpgnew field butts (2).jpgnew field butts (7).jpg
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My archery club's website: www.geelongarchers.page.tl
    Martin Rytera Alien Nemesis.. Trophy Taker Micro rest, Sureloc Supreme 550 sight w/Cartel Scope, 30" Fuse Carbon Blade + v-bar and 2 x 12" Fomax Carbon stabs. Stan Shootoff Quatro Trigger, 450 Carbon Ones

Post Thanks / Like

dropbear, as you said the plastic is weatherproof in that it will not weigh a ton if it gets wet, but I thought I had read somewhere, that if the plastic is wet it does not stop the arrows as good. Have you noticed any thing like that?
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
    dropbear, as you said the plastic is weatherproof in that it will not weigh a ton if it gets wet, but I thought I had read somewhere, that if the plastic is wet it does not stop the arrows as good. Have you noticed any thing like that?
    Hi Money Man .. We've had no such issues to date. The clubs field targets have been in place about 18 months now in all weather conditions(except snow..we don't get snow) and none have needed any maintenance to date and are still stopping the arrows without a problem.
    My home made bag target is always kept inside but one I made for a friend has been out in the weather and still stops arrows without a problem. .

I think the stories about not stopping arrows is if you are shooting in the rain and the arrows are wet when they go into the plastic as the water may act as lubrication.
    I have however shot on my clubs plastic filled target butts in pouring rain and have no problems with arrows not stopping.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My archery club's website: www.geelongarchers.page.tl
    Martin Rytera Alien Nemesis.. Trophy Taker Micro rest, Sureloc Supreme 550 sight w/Cartel Scope, 30" Fuse Carbon Blade + v-bar and 2 x 12" Fomax Carbon stabs. Stan Shootoff Quatro Trigger, 450 Carbon Ones