Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the current Martin Compound bow models be disassembled without a bow press ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can the current Martin Compound bow models be disassembled without a bow press ?

Greetings !

I am new to archery , and have been looking for a compound bow which can be completely disassembled and then assembled back without a Bow Press.

I found a vedio in You Tube (did a search on string '' Martin limb switch''), showing disassembling Martin Shadowcat and Razor without a Bow Press.

I would like a confirmation from you Knowledgeable people, regarding whether all current MARTIN models can be assembled / disassembled this way. Any advice on any other BOW make having such features are also welcome.

I am specifically interested in getting a confirmation if the following current Martin Models have this capability :

2011 Martin Onza 3
    2011 Martin Silencer Nitro 2.0
    2011 Martin Pantera
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2011 Martin Exile
    2011 Martin Leopard
    2011 Martin Saber

Thanks and regards,
    Devjeet Hensh.
    Milwaukee.
    Wisconsin.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Welcome to the forum, as far as the new bows being able to be disassembled without a bow press. Well I have heard some have been able to and some have not. So some of the other members will have to pipe in. I know that the Ridgehunter 2011, Leopard 2011, Martin Saber 2011 can be done, but as far as the rest not sure.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum.i would add the exile to the list of bows that dont need a bow press.

i have read that some folks with the shadowcat and onza say tou can take it down with out a press but a guy has to put his own body weight on the limbs to get the string off when fully backed out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not taken my Onza down w/out a press, but I was told you could do it. I did take my Saber down w/out a press, took my string and cable off to measure and repair. However, I had the limb bolts out too far, the limbs kept falling to the side, it was a juggling act to get them all back into place... its just easier with a press. Do yourself a favor and spend $50 bucks for a BowMaster press, and another $35 for the split limb adapters (the long aluminum ones, for beyond parallel limbs). You'll be glad you did
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Ive taken my AX limbs off with out a press,just backed limb bolts out to you see a little daylight in barrel nut and pulled cams off.No problems at all there are a few trick's but nothing serious.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro x,Martin mounted ripcord rest,Sword twilight hunter site,G5 maglock quiver,carbonx stab,H&S custom threads.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for your replies.
    Hers's the You tube vedio i was talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b0O5HP-4eM . It looks very easy and convenient.

By the way i do plan to buy a Bow Press at some point of time; but the reason i m looking for this type of bow is because, i have to travel by air very frequently and maynot have the option of taking the press with me.

Can somebody who owns the 2011 Martin Onza 3 and 2011 Martin Silencer Nitro 2.0 confirm if indeed these can be dissassenbled without press . Also is the ''Martin Silencer Nitro 2.0 '' same as the ''Martin FireCat 400 Nitro 2.0'' .

Thank you all for your time.

Devjeet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    I have not taken my Onza down w/out a press, but I was told you could do it. I did take my Saber down w/out a press, took my string and cable off to measure and repair. However, I had the limb bolts out too far, the limbs kept falling to the side, it was a juggling act to get them all back into place... its just easier with a press. Do yourself a favor and spend $50 bucks for a BowMaster press, and another $35 for the split limb adapters (the long aluminum ones, for beyond parallel limbs). You'll be glad you did
    Thanks to all for your replies.
    Hers's the You tube vedio i was talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b0O5HP-4eM . It looks very easy and convenient.

By the way i do plan to buy a Bow Press at some point of time; but the reason i m looking for this type of bow is because, i have to travel by air very frequently and maynot have the option of taking the press with me.

Can somebody who owns the 2011 Martin Onza 3 and 2011 Martin Silencer Nitro 2.0 confirm if indeed these can be dissassenbled without press . Also is the ''Martin Silencer Nitro 2.0 '' same as the ''Martin FireCat 400 Nitro 2.0'' .

Thank you all for your time.

Devjeet

Post Thanks / Like

With my FC400 and Onzas, I have to back the bolts off as far as I can, then grab a cam and rotate it a little to get the cables and string off. So it is capable of being taken down without a press, but not as easily as some models.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    With my FC400 and Onzas, I have to back the bolts off as far as I can, then grab a cam and rotate it a little to get the cables and string off. So it is capable of being taken down without a press, but not as easily as some models.
    Thanks for the confirmation regarding the FC400 and Onzas. These are the latest models i am interested in.

By the way, i am assuming that just like other models these two can be completely disassembled(for packing in a bag for air travel) and not just for cable and string change ? Please confirm.

Also , i can't find the FC400 anywhere in the new model lineup of Martin. Is this bow discontinued or just renamed as another model.

regards,
    Devjeet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by devhensh View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation regarding the FC400 and Onzas. These are the latest models i am interested in.

By the way, i am assuming that just like other models these two can be completely disassembled(for packing in a bag for air travel) and not just for cable and string change ? Please confirm.

Also , i can't find the FC400 anywhere in the new model lineup of Martin. Is this bow discontinued or just renamed as another model.

regards,
    Devjeet
    Cosidering past specs the closest thing to the FC400 would be the Cougar in Pro series bows. In the Gold series it would be the Silencer. Names get changed on a regular basis so you just have to compare the specs. As for having a traveling bow press, take a look at the Bowmaster. It's quite affordable and quite portable. You can roll it up small enough to fit in your hip pocket. The TSA might balk at this and it might be a bit hard on the butt on the plane, but you get my point If you should find a Martin that will not break down using the limb bolts there's always the option of installing longer limb bolts. They can had at good hardware stores or Fastenal. It's a standard 3/18 NC countersunk bolt.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver