Thread: The everydrawweight bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Default The everydrawweight bow?

Watched Uncle Ted handling a Bengal at the AT Show and was impressed with the cam system that can be peaked at 50-60-70lbs. I wonder why they even offer it with the lower poundage limbs? Being a fan of 50lb peak draw bows I may have to look at one, next year, I'm still alittle bowshy after the trg/sos.

Post Thanks / Like

I was curious about this also. What I have found is that every time you move down a peg on the cam, you lose draw length. I think I read that it is 1/2-inch for each peg. So, if you have a 30-inch DL and buy the 70-pound bow with a max DL of 30.5" and want to notch it down to a max of 50 pounds, you may be out of luck.

This begs the question of whether the listed minimum draw length for each of the Fury XT bows is based on putting the string on the -20 peg, thus losing the bow's true max draw weight. For instance, if you order a 60-pound prowler, can you really get down to 24-inch DL and stay at 60 pounds?

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey, you may be a little confused here, the 1/2" draw increments are for the each set of holes in adjusting your draw length. The posts for adjusting weight don't attach to your string, but your cable so change in draw length would be minimal. There are 3 pegs, one for "normal", one for -10 lbs, and one for -20 lbs. The rest of the "35 lbs' of draw weight adjustment consists of the 15 lbs of adjustment in every Martin bow by loosening the limb bolts. Hope this helps!

And as for why someone would buy a lower weight bow with 35 lb adjustments available, I may have the answer for that as well... From what I have heard, a bow that is "maxed" out makes more efficient use of its power reserves than one that has been "let down" to a lighter draw weight. It has been debated before, and I tend to think that it kind of makes sense. But then again, I'm not an engineer lol
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    Bailey, you may be a little confused here, the 1/2" draw increments are for the each set of holes in adjusting your draw length. The posts for adjusting weight don't attach to your string, but your cable so change in draw length would be minimal. There are 3 pegs, one for "normal", one for -10 lbs, and one for -20 lbs. The rest of the "35 lbs' of draw weight adjustment consists of the 15 lbs of adjustment in every Martin bow by loosening the limb bolts. Hope this helps!
    I mistakenly said string versus cable, but my point was that what I have read is that moving the "cable" from the 0 to -10 to -20 does actually does change the draw length, in addition to the primary purpose of reducing draw weight. Read post 18 of archerx7's thread at the link below:

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...era-and-Bengal

Archerx7's test of the Pantera indicates that at the max draw weight of 70 pounds using the standard peg, the draw length only goes down to 27". The specs listed for the Pantera indicate a 25" minimum draw length. The test indicates that you have to use the -20 peg to get down to 25", leaving you with a 50-pound max bow. To me that means that at a constant draw weight, there is really only roughly 4.5" of draw length adjustment, which is still pretty good. I'm not sure how many need 31" at 50 pounds or 25" at 70 pounds, but you'll need different limbs to get it.

Also, if you listen to the video at the link below, Ryan Martin confirms this at roughly 40 seconds into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIXRxfvzMUM

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, my bad... I don't mind eating a little crow once in a while Usually changes to your cables don't change your draw much, but I guess that moving from one peg to the next is more adjustment than adding or subtracting a few twists... Nice catch!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps