Thread: FOBs -vs- Blazers

Post Thanks / Like

Default FOBs -vs- Blazers

Well I had to try the supposed gimmick and ordered some FOBs. Got them in the mail today and immediately stripped some fletchings on two arrows one 55/75 at 27 1/2" and a 75/95 at 29" with 100gr fps. I didn't clean the wraps off just to see what they would do with ragged edges from where I removed the blazers. Now granted I am only shooting them at 15 yds the max I can get i the basement. After shooting two fletched same type arrows I then followed up with the FOBs and I could cover thrree of the four with a quarter and all four with a fifty cent piece consistently after five rounds of shooting them. To say I need to replace some nocks is an understatement. So far no bhs or long distance but then again most of my hunting shots are less than 25yds. Will continue the testing but so far there is no difference in POI and I did not change my D-loop position to accomondate for either arrow but I must say the loop is just about shot up ffrom all this shooting I'vve been doing but the strings are holding up great. Big thanks to Double S for getting me to try them. So far nothing to not like about them.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad your having a good time with your Fobs. Some people hurry and don't follow Paul's simple set up instructions and check for clearance with the fob tester. Then go out and break a fob or two and the forks on their rests and blame the fob. From our conversations I know you did your homework. I shoot out to 70 yards on paper. You might see a slight Fob drop compared to blazers at longer distances. I just adjust the gang adjustment on my sight to compensate. In my opinion Fobs excel in Windier conditions. I like to try standard fletchings but I always return to fobs. I do recommend that you don't group with fobs. Fobs can take a beating and most of them will pop off during arrow to arrow contact but sooner or later you will break a few. I shoot one fob, one spot. occasionally I will group Fobs just to hear the beautiful sound of fobs a pop'n. Then I have to make another order. I wish you the best with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an update on my FOB experiment. Got outside today and shot the FOB, FPs, STs, and Reapers at 20 to 50 yards. Out to 20 yds all four grouped within' a 3 inch circle and I lost one arrow to the reaper splitting it. At the 30 yd mark same results. Now at the 40 yd mark a slight difference. As Doouble S said I did see the STs drop slightly down and to the left but still in the kill zone and the Reapers were right on top of fly the FPs still. At 50 yds the results were almost identical as 40 yds were. So I guess since both types of BHs I shoot hit this well to 40 yds I say they work well from my set up for hunting purposes since most shots are 25 yds and under. Between the two the Reapers are knocking my FPs as close as you can get without a Robin Hood. After shooting the vanes off 3 arrows and breaking 2 nocks it was nice to just slip a FOB over the end and continue shooting a major plus. Pleased with the results I'd say for me.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

Post Thanks / Like

Are you shooting Fieldpoints and BH's at the same target?. Also I would make sure I'm using the same type BH's against the FP's for testing purposes. Prior to using Fobs, were your FP's and BH's with regular fletching hitting the same spot?. I would recommend placing a field point bag next to a BH bag. When i do testing, i place paper over the face of each target bag so i can mark the holes and number them. I make sure I shoot FP's at the FP bag and BH's at the BH Bag. I do not group shoot Arrows with broadheads attached. It ends up costing money to replace them. I will shoot one FP at the FP bag then a BH at the BH bag. I can make my Adjustments for BH tuning from there. Making sure that both FP and BH hit the center of each target. That's how I know if my BH's are tuned to my FP's. I also mark the arrow holes in the paper and pull arrows. I haven't lost arrows or BH doing it this way. If you decide to go 100 percent Fobs then I would suggest sighting in your sight for Fobs. Some people don't have to but I did have to adjust slightly. I mainly shoot fobs so whenever I shoot blazers, I know to adjust a little low to shoot blazers. It's worked for me. I'm glad it's working out for you.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Double S I do have two targets and I don't normally group shoot BHs but I just had to see how close I would actually be with the blazers and the FOBs. I am planning on using the GRs for hunting this yr with the STs as back ups and that's why I tried them both. The GRs fly so tight to the FPs it's ridiculous and I intend on using the FOBs with them. Don't get me wrong the blazers fly great as well but being able to just pop a FOB on and go is great. I must say I did not need to change my anchor point and the feel of the FOB against my face isn't a factor at all as some have said. Looking to go with them full time for the time being and set everything up to them with the GRs.

Post Thanks / Like

nice to hear that your having fun with them. I actually use the fob as an anchor. If I don't feel it lightly touching the same spot on my face ( very Lightly) I know I'm not anchored correctly. Happy Shooting!.

Quote Originally Posted by parttimr View Post
    @ Double S I do have two targets and I don't normally group shoot BHs but I just had to see how close I would actually be with the blazers and the FOBs. I am planning on using the GRs for hunting this yr with the STs as back ups and that's why I tried them both. The GRs fly so tight to the FPs it's ridiculous and I intend on using the FOBs with them. Don't get me wrong the blazers fly great as well but being able to just pop a FOB on and go is great. I must say I did not need to change my anchor point and the feel of the FOB against my face isn't a factor at all as some have said. Looking to go with them full time for the time being and set everything up to them with the GRs.