Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 prowler pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2012 prowler pro

Is riser machined from solid block of aluminum,and anyone shot it? I am interested in maybe buying one.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure they are 3 piece riser....................

Post Thanks / Like

Is the multi-block riser the norm for all of the Martin bows and has this caused any issues for anyone thats owned one?
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

All the Martin risers have been modular (3 pc) for several years now. The only acception to this was the S4 and now the Scepter V. This technology has proven to be very reliable so far with just a few isolated cases of the pieces loosening or shifting. In these few cases customer service has, as always, been on the ball and replaced whatever needed replaced. I would say to not let the risers become an issue in your choice of a Martin bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on the risers, Ive got a new Pantera on order , it will be my first Martin, looking forward to it!
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2012 Prowler Pro

Thanks, i was just reading from the 2012 catalog and a lot of the bows reads CNC machined from single block of aluminum. And I have noticed the price difference in the 2012 Exile from Supreme Archery for 374.99 and Exile pro for 323.99, the Prowler Pro is on sell for 363.99 which sounds like a good deal. In Martin catalog says Exile is CNC machined riser and under description of Exile Pro it doesn't say it. I would have thought the Exile Pro would have been more expensive. Are their Risers made exactly alike or what? I really like the looks of the Prowler Pro. So the Bengal Pro, Cougar Pro, Silencer Pro all have the 3 piece risers as well! Thanks, Jeff I am new to the Martin forums and have never owned a Martin bow so I was just doing some research before I buy one. I appreciate all you alls help.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin's Website says all but the Prowler are machined from solid block aluminum. Does this mean 3 blocks?
    mean people suck!
    '08 Slayer Extreme Supermag Nitrious X c

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOMAXIMUS View Post
    Martin's Website says all but the Prowler are machined from solid block aluminum. Does this mean 3 blocks?
    In a nutshell this is exactly what it means. This is one of the things Martin has come up with to cut costs, and ultimately be able to pass along some of this savings to the consumer. Take a good look at just how much reflex there is to these risers. Now picture just how wide a block of aluminum would have to be and how much waste there'd be to machine a riser from one solid block of material.

Now picture each piece separately. There's the section from the shelf to the bottom Roto pocket. Then there's a piece that makes up the sight window. Lastly there's the upper section from the sight window to the upper Roto pocket. Three pieces, each much smaller than the block needed to make a one piece riser. A lot less wasted material and less time to machine.

The three pieces are then drilled for stainless steel dowel pins and two holes drilled and trapped for the bolts holding them together. Not sure but I have also heard that epoxy is used, but can't confirm this.

Martin has been using this process now since 2007. It must be working well as there have been but a very few that needed replaced or repaired. So few in fact that you don't read or hear much about riser failure at all. Probably no more so than one piece risers that snap or crack. Riser problems just aren't that prevalent any more like they were when they were cast from magnesium or aluminum.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to think there is some welding involved in the process as well. wouldn't make much sense for them to do just cold connection with an epoxy additive.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    In a nutshell this is exactly what it means. This is one of the things Martin has come up with to cut costs, and ultimately be able to pass along some of this savings to the consumer. Take a good look at just how much reflex there is to these risers. Now picture just how wide a block of aluminum would have to be and how much waste there'd be to machine a riser from one solid block of material.

Now picture each piece separately. There's the section from the shelf to the bottom Roto pocket. Then there's a piece that makes up the sight window. Lastly there's the upper section from the sight window to the upper Roto pocket. Three pieces, each much smaller than the block needed to make a one piece riser. A lot less wasted material and less time to machine.

The three pieces are then drilled for stainless steel dowel pins and two holes drilled and trapped for the bolts holding them together. Not sure but I have also heard that epoxy is used, but can't confirm this.

Martin has been using this process now since 2007. It must be working well as there have been but a very few that needed replaced or repaired. So few in fact that you don't read or hear much about riser failure at all. Probably no more so than one piece risers that snap or crack. Riser problems just aren't that prevalent any more like they were when they were cast from magnesium or aluminum.
    Once again thanks for the info.......obviously they are doing it right, its my first experience with this type of riser but with thier track record Im ok with it.
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35