Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 prowler pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I'd like to think there is some welding involved in the process as well. wouldn't make much sense for them to do just cold connection with an epoxy additive.
    As I mentioned this process has been used for over four years with very little problems so it makes perfect sense. I used to be a millwright in a steel mill and did my share of welding. Welding actually changes the molecular structure of the base metal, essentially making it weaker near the weld although the weld itself would be stronger than the base metal. Depending on the use I'd think the last thing you'd want to do is weaken the base metal. How many times do we read "If it ain't broken then why fix it"? This one of those applications.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

It has to be a strong connection. I can't even see where the joints are on my bow.
    mean people suck!
    '08 Slayer Extreme Supermag Nitrious X c

Post Thanks / Like

This is very good information, and yes I agree 100% that the joint of the riser would be stronger than the surrounding surfice. I too work in the steel industry and I understand the pinning process spoke about. The main thing in this process is the fit and overall alignment.....no room for error here.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    As I mentioned this process has been used for over four years with very little problems so it makes perfect sense. I used to be a millwright in a steel mill and did my share of welding. Welding actually changes the molecular structure of the base metal, essentially making it weaker near the weld although the weld itself would be stronger than the base metal. Depending on the use I'd think the last thing you'd want to do is weaken the base metal. How many times do we read "If it ain't broken then why fix it"? This one of those applications.
    Good info - I didn't know if they did or didn't, but it was just an assumption I would have made based on what I know of metal connection. Seeing as how you have more of a hands on than me, that is interesting stuff.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I'd like to think there is some welding involved in the process as well. wouldn't make much sense for them to do just cold connection with an epoxy additive.
    Better not fly on any airplanes! Lots and lots of panels made of materials bonded together.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

There is no other place a bow owner can get info like this without having to sort through all kinds of BS and opinion. Thanks to everyone who post here and to those who just come for the knowledge. I have learned so much about Martin bows in the last year.Thank you all so much.
    mean people suck!
    '08 Slayer Extreme Supermag Nitrious X c