Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Onza 3 Shooters

Post Thanks / Like

Why you guys picking on the old man. I guess it'll be me getting picked on next. Curtis, just laugh with them. Young kids got no respect these days.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Why you guys picking on the old man. I guess it'll be me getting picked on next. Curtis, just laugh with them. Young kids got no respect these days.
    as barry is standing on his front pourch shaking a stick at the kids and telling them to stay off his lawn.lol
    just playing dont ban me yet...soon but not yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Ripcord Red on my Onza. Had one on my Firecat before that and my Alpine before that. Let me ask this question to you guys, what is all this full containment stuff all about? I have never used the little arm over the top of any of my Ripcords and never had nay trouble with my arrow falling off. I used a Brightsite tuner rest for years before that with a small lizard tongue launcher. Now the WB is a nice rest and all but unless you are shooting while standing on your head what is the big deal? I mean come on now. Is this full containment just the next thing to get guys to buy a new rest or what?

Post Thanks / Like

Full containment is just a nice "insurance" or "assurance" (depending on how you look at it) for those of us that do more than target shoot, or hunt out of a blind or treestand. I hunt high mountain muleys, and when I get the chance, elk. For both of these critters I tend to do a bit of "spot and stalk" and even just "still hunt". In these situations its easier to nock my arrow into a full containment rest than worry about the arrow falling off the rest, making noise, bouncing around etc. while I'm traipsing around the woods.

For others, its a mute point but for me, its a necessity.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

hey you young wipper snappers , it's the old man! lol . to answer one question, i use the quad hunter the low one in the lineup, it can be ajusted up & down side to side just like all the other rest. when i get it set i never move it again unless i dissasemble the bow. some of those high end rest that cost 2 & 3 times what mine cost are nice & some have micro ajust features . i have nothing against all that ajustablity , how many times do you need to ajust your rest. i use the micro ajust feature on my sights because i shoot different wt. arrows from time to time. i've read on here ? over at A T that the hunters lawncher doesn't get out of the way with some bows , may be true . i had problems when i first started using the rest because i didn't have the the trip cord set properly , broke a couple lawnchers, when set properly works great with all 6 of my martin bows & soon to be 7 this morning , i already have a hunter rest laying on my desk to put on it. i'm sure there are much better rest out there than the hunter , i'm not trying to convince anyone on what rest to use i'm just giving my oppinion. thats a chose everone has to make for themselves , it's your money get what you want.some people need help in making those kinda choses thats why we are here to give or oppinions{right barry}
    i know one thing for sure all these new sights, rests, arrows, bows, strings, are 1000 times better than what we had back in the old days. when you shot one of those old bows sounded like it had tin cans tied to it , those flipper rest that was glued on & a berger button to to move the arrow in & out. you young folks don't know how lucky you are to have the equipment that is available today. well i'm going to eat breakfast & go out & shoot a few arrows. have a nice day & good shooting!
    Last edited by bowgramp59; 03-01-2012 at 04:30 AM.
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

Mine should be here in a week or so and it will be wearing a Biscuit... for an ol' deer hunter, the Sure Shot is hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    Full containment is just a nice "insurance" or "assurance" (depending on how you look at it) for those of us that do more than target shoot, or hunt out of a blind or treestand. I hunt high mountain muleys, and when I get the chance, elk. For both of these critters I tend to do a bit of "spot and stalk" and even just "still hunt". In these situations its easier to nock my arrow into a full containment rest than worry about the arrow falling off the rest, making noise, bouncing around etc. while I'm traipsing around the woods.

For others, its a mute point but for me, its a necessity.
    Well stated.

I use the Red Rip Cord and love it. Its quite, easy to set up etc. And again, the full capture is a must for hunting high mountian stuff. IMHO
    "When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." -Fred Bear

2012 Martin Cougar FC, Fury XT cam
    CE PileDriver arrow, 535 grains
    Speed: unknown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    hey you young wipper snappers , it's the old man! lol thats why we are here to give or oppinions{right barry}
    i know one thing for sure all these new sights, rests, arrows, bows, strings, are 1000 times better than what we had back in the old days. when you shot one of those old bows sounded like it had tin cans tied to it , those flipper rest that was glued on & a berger button to to move the arrow in & out. you young folks don't know how lucky you are to have the equipment that is available today. well i'm going to eat breakfast & go out & shoot a few arrows. have a nice day & good shooting!
    Alright kids, the old man has spoken! The old boys know how to put things in perspective don't they? I use a WB because like wscywabbit said, it is one less thing to worry about on a spot and stalk. It is amazing how many little twigs seem to reach out and grab your arrow to give it a twang when you're trying your final stalk. Also, I've had opportunities from stands where the bucks walked directly towards me and only presented shots when they were directly underneath my stand (virtually 25' straight down). For me, who mostly hunts, full containment maximizes my opportunities when I'm in the field. For others, there are many different rests that will serve their needs very well, depending on what they're doing. Like the old man said, the new equipment is 1000 times better than in the old days.
    Last edited by Skbengal; 03-01-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, let me address this issue a bit. I just removed a TT blade rest from my target/3D bow in favor of a Rip Cord Code Red. The first thing I did when I removed the rest from the packaging was remove the "containment" bar across the top. It's totally unnecessary and in the way for loading arrows. Haven't done so yet but the launcher forks are going to get cut down from about an inch long to about 3/8". Again, they do not need to be that long. Yes, this is basically a target setup, but I would do the same thing for a hunting setup.

Pertaining to spot and stalk shooters. I understand what has been said here, but use a different rationale. Back in the 70's is when bow quivers with hoods started to become popular. The hood was a good idea because with no protection from broadheads people has a tendency to stick themselves and die, whether from carelessness or a fall. At that tiem I became a NBEF instructor and one of the things we taught was safety. It was always recommended to NEVER walk or stalk with an arrow nocked. Reason? Pretty simple really. One careless stumble or fall and you could end up with a broadhead through the leg or other body part. A severed artery could almost certainly result in death.

That's why I still adhere to that recommendation today so for those of you who spot and stalk, think about it. Your family isn't really interested in collecting on your life insurance. The graveyards have quite a few people who lived on the premis that it couldn't happen to them. It doesn't take that long to take an arrow from the quiver and load it. Certainly not enough time to risk your life.

And gentlemen, that is why I say that containment rests are a ruse to the hunting society. They can give you a false sense of security.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, as usual you offer sage advice. It certainly gives one food for thought, that's for sure.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps