Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broadheads

I'm thinking about dropping down to a 75 grain broadhead due to some changes I have made on my arrows. Anyone know any good reliable heads in that weigh range? Been looking at Slick Trick, Muzzy, and Wasp mainly, but I wanted to know if anyone uses that light of head, and how they like them. Thanks guys!

Eric
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Why/what did you change on your arrows? i presume not all of them bows shooting the same arrows, if not you dont have much to lose for trying some out. Less than 10% of bowhunting experts recommend that weight of a head for big game unless its absolutely necessary to correct your FOC or spine, but i am positive they would work fine. On elk? why take a chance,they had to shave weight somewhere. The slick trick have four blades and come in 85 grains , not 75 so i'd lean that way for the lighter heads. all 3 are proven good quality BH's with more satisfied customers than unsatisfied.. consider blade replacement costs when choosing if you plan on using them for a couple years, the wasp' includes some replacement blades with the purchase of their new bullet or hammer sst and seem somewhat the black sheep of the broadhead world but are as good as anyones, being different / unique makes the bowhunting world a little more interesting.
    Last edited by madman350; 02-02-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used 75gr heads successfully for many years. First it was Wasp SST and then InnerLoc. I really like the design and wuality of the InnerLoc heads. That and the fact that I got them free back in 2003 when I was a rep (one year) for them and a few other companies. Being as they work well I just can't get myself to go spend the outrageous prices for these newer heads that do nothing more than what my InnerLocs do. And now that I've given up hunting it doesn't matter much anyway.

That being said, if I were to choose a different head these days I'd take a serious look at the Slick Trick 85 grainer. I really like how the blades lock into the ferrule. I've had a heads that lost their blades in an animal after hitting bone and abhor the idea of field dressing an animal with a blade somewhere inside.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

The reason for changing over is that the inserts my VAP's use keep getting a slight bend to them. I was told not to shoot them at bag targets, so I got a Block, and a Shot Blocker to shoot at. Still bending. I talked to Victory, and they sent me a dozen new inserts made from stainless. Old inserts weighed 43 grains, these are 90 grain. With the 100 grain heads I've been using, that's alot of weight out front, causing a weaker spine. I'd have to switch over to a 300 spine. Figured shaving 25 gr. off the heads might let me keep using the arrows I already have. Gonna get some 75 gr. FP, and give them a try. Right now, the arrows are 383 gr., but with the new inserts, we're talking about 430 gr, with 190 of that in the first 3 inches or so.
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

Midway has 85 grain 4 blade stingers on clearance for $21.62 if they interest you?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/356...teel-pack-of-3
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    The reason for changing over is that the inserts my VAP's use keep getting a slight bend to them. I was told not to shoot them at bag targets, so I got a Block, and a Shot Blocker to shoot at. Still bending. I talked to Victory, and they sent me a dozen new inserts made from stainless. Old inserts weighed 43 grains, these are 90 grain. With the 100 grain heads I've been using, that's alot of weight out front, causing a weaker spine. I'd have to switch over to a 300 spine. Figured shaving 25 gr. off the heads might let me keep using the arrows I already have. Gonna get some 75 gr. FP, and give them a try. Right now, the arrows are 383 gr., but with the new inserts, we're talking about 430 gr, with 190 of that in the first 3 inches or so.
    That ought to give you a pretty hefty FOC. Now that I know what you're trying to accomplish I can understand why. FYI Muzzy has a 75gr head also. There are others, but I ain't doing all your research for you.

My rep carries Victory arrows on his account and I was thinking of gettin some, but I'll have to do more research into the problem with the inserts. This isn't the first time I've heard of this. Consider yourself lucky getting the new inserts. From what I understand they are going for $40/doz at Lancaster and other places. I assume these are for the VAPs.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, yes, they are for the VAP's. I'm just hoping it doesn't change my spine so much that I have to go to the 300's. I've got 2 dozen .350's already. From my figuring, if I had to use the .300, I'd end up with an arrow at 438 gr. using a 75 gr. head.
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I have some Muzzy looking broadheads in 85gr I think just laying around if you want to try them out. Just shoot me a PM with your addy and I will get them out as soon as I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I,m not sure I follow you. Are you shooting a 350 arrow? As I could see your bows are up too 60-70 pounds. A 60 pounds bow should give you a 400 arrow from Victory. A 125gr. BH should be fine. Increase your insertweight with 47gr. and you look at 85 gr. weight. But if you wanna hunt, a 100gr. weight would be fine? Better with a heavy arrow to hunt with than a anorexi arrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Default bh

Magnus are great in the 85 grain