Thread: Properly holding/gripping a trad bow

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Properly holding/gripping a trad bow

Basic question - Should the string be contacting my arm at all when shooting my Jag & X-200 (assuming they're setup properly)? I'm not into gear and undo accessories so I 've been trying to shoot without an armguard. 90% of the time I'll get a very slight contact or sting (definitely can live with) but the other 10% are more substantial in contact. Can a seasoned shooter consistently stay clear of the arm or is the occassional contact the nature of the tool? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot with your arm slightly bent at the elbow.

Post Thanks / Like

Over on AT there is a Sticky at the tp of the general archery forum--author is a guy named Nuts-N-Bolts. Although it's mostly for compound bows there are some good pics and explanations about form. Pay particular attention to the part about how to grip a bow. It sounds like your grip might be at fault. Turning the hand out at about 40 degrees or so not only reduces torque, but also rotates the arm out away from the string thus eliminating or at least reducing string contact with the forearm. Also a contributing factor could be that you are over drawing the bow to some extent.

If in real doubt you can post this question in the Traditional forum on Archery Talk. Then you'll probably get some more educated responses.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks guys. I'll try what you suggest. Dealing w/ an old dog learning new tricks here. Haven't shot a bow for ~25yrs and that's after having never learned how to shoot properly in the 1st place so I know I'm dealing w/ undoing some "bad habits". I mean, I'm stoked and amazed at how well both of these bows shoot (to me they shot well enough out of the box that I really didn't feel the need to adopt a proper form - I'm having a lot of fun and satisfaction as is on the local range below).

trgt.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

If your interested in a great read. Check out "Shooting The stickbow?. Here's a thread I have about the book.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...Anthony-Camera.

Tony is is a great guy and very helpful. Great info with illustrations on everything you would need to know.

Simon