Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Bow

Sold hoyt maxxis done with double cam or so i thought. iam sold on ,martin but cant decide on which one. ive read the double cams are as smooth as can be. but i take most of my hunting shots sitting down. thats the main reason i sold the hoyt, it sux pulling back at 70, the cams are so aggresive, need reviews + help
    choosing my new Martin.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum ramsey2007. I suggest that you find the nearest dealer. Martin has many great bows. The 2012 bows even look better. I myself have my eye's on the new Scepter. I have a Rytera Nemesis right now and love it. I'm looking for a longer ATA bow for target only shooting. I actually use my Nemesis for spot and stalk hunting. I favor longer style ATA bows. Find a dealer that has several models to choose from and select the one that feels and shoots best for you. Nothing beats hands on contact to get the feels for a bow. I'm not a speed freak but I do look for a balance of smoothness and speed. MY comfort level is at 60 pounds. Welcome again to the forum.
    Last edited by Double S; 02-01-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks..the longer ata is nice but i do more hunting than target + here in florida my shot mostly consists of 10-30 yds. and i would love to shoot the new 2012 martins but the all the dealer in my area dont carry martin they can just order what i want. today i went to a dealer i found on the martin wedsite, the first thing they ask is why a martin try this bowtech big NO! then it was well we can get u a martin but u have to prepay. which isnt a problem if i can decied, i shot a firecat
    360 last year that a guy i hunt with bought thats what make me sell the hoyt.

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer my friend. I have been in your situation too. I drove 80 miles one way to a Bow shop looking for Bow "A". The guy kept trying to sell me me Bows "B". They were double the price. He said the same thing. Why do you want that bow?. lol. I walked outside and saw his Truck fully decked out in Bow "B"'s brand. I found out later that he was a Pro shooter for that company. When I got back home I called the Bow company and told them of my experience. That i tried to buy their bow brand and the shop kep trying to sell me the competition bow. But if you find a dealer that stocks Martin bow, it might be worth the drive. Do you have a price range that your staying in for a bare bow.?

Quote Originally Posted by ramsey2007 View Post
    thanks..the longer ata is nice but i do more hunting than target + here in florida my shot mostly consists of 10-30 yds. and i would love to shoot the new 2012 martins but the all the dealer in my area dont carry martin they can just order what i want. today i went to a dealer i found on the martin wedsite, the first thing they ask is why a martin try this bowtech big NO! then it was well we can get u a martin but u have to prepay. which isnt a problem if i can decied, i shot a firecat
    360 last year that a guy i hunt with bought thats what make me sell the hoyt.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Ramsey. I see you have a slight problem. Before I'd give you any advice I'd like you to answer a question. Just what critters do you hunt in Florida and how much draw weight can you handle? Are you 70 or are you trying to draw back 70#?

Dumb question. You're just a young puppy of 29 years. Part of your problem is that somebody has given you the idea you need 70# to hunt. Double S has given you some good advice, but I would add that you msy need to rethink you needs. If you want a smooth drawing bow then consider less draw weight. I don't care how big aand strong a person is or how easy a certain cam is you still have to roll that cam over and 70# is 70#.

More later.
    Last edited by bfisher; 02-01-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramsey2007 View Post
    Sold hoyt maxxis done with double cam or so i thought. iam sold on ,martin but cant decide on which one. ive read the double cams are as smooth as can be. but i take most of my hunting shots sitting down. thats the main reason i sold the hoyt, it sux pulling back at 70, the cams are so aggresive, need reviews + help
    choosing my new Martin.
    there's several very good martins out there to select from. if you owned a maxxis then i presume $$$ wasn't too large a factor, but you still will be able to replace your old bow with a more affordably priced martin onza/silencer and equal/supercede the performance of your old bow with a new martin for less money.
    The bows with the accutrac one cams from 2011 are very smooth drawing too, so dont rule out the bows equipped with them even though they arent the newest , (but still fast) cam in their lineup. . plenty of new martins on ebay for sale between 3-5 bills.. you will be pleased with the purchase of a new martin. p.s 60# will shoot thru a fla deer like it was a pie plate, but is still adequate, although imo not ideal for hogs, but not sure never stuck one with a new generation speed bow.
    Last edited by madman350; 02-02-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

the money isnt a problem, i had almost 1200$ in the maxxis. i took everything off of it and sold a it for 700$ so i have that to put into a new one.

i was drawing 70 then my cams came out of tune (what i was told is i shot to much) had my cables twisted and was at 74. growing up bowhunting and being
    young i did think i had to have the fastest bow + drawing the most weight. the past 2 years i have gone to the FMJ's by easten and have been thinking more on
    accuracy than speed. its hard to explain but at times when i would draw back with the hoyts i had, i got to my anchor point and its like the cams would pull me back in . might be too much draw weight or draw lengh idk, but thats were i am with double cam. thats all ive ever had.

Post Thanks / Like

oh yea mostly deer+ if a hog comes in yea for sure i'll shoot it, most of my hog kills have come from ear shots.
    and 1 turkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the other response's you have received: I think your trying to shoot to much draw weight.
    Any of the Martin dual camed bows at 50-60#, with a 350-400gn arrow, will blow right thru all the animals you hunt.
    Plus Elk, Caribou, Bears etc...
    The best way that I have figured out, to figure how much draw weight I can really handle for hunting, is to -
    sit on the floor with your legs spread out in front of you and see if you can draw the bow normally.
    If I cant - it is too much draw weight.
    My main hunting bow for deer and turkeys (we dont have hogs here ) is 52# with a 386gn arrow.

Bringing home supper ain't about poundage.!
    Last edited by Spiker; 02-02-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Like the other response's you have received: I think your trying to shoot to much draw weight.
    Any of the Martin dual camed bows at 50-60#, with a 350-400gn arrow, will blow right thru all the animals you hunt.
    Plus Elk, Caribou, Bears etc...
    The best way that I have figured out, to figure how much draw weight I can really handle for hunting, is to -
    sit on the floor with your legs spread out in front of you and see if you can draw the bow normally.
    If I cant - it is too much draw weight.
    My main hunting bow for deer and turkeys (we dont have hogs here ) is 52# with a 386gn arrow.

Bringing home supper ain't about poundage.!
    Agreed with the above. Accuracy & stability are far more important to get that kill.
    Testing testing