Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our First Season Hunting Was a Success Thanks To Many Here

Post Thanks / Like

The heaviest whitetail deer on record weighed 402 pounds when field dressed. It was taken by a Minnesota hunter in 1926 and had an estimated live weight of 511 pounds. Whitetail deer are fully grown at 4 1/2 year
    Wow thats a big deer, are you sure about this numbers. I would thought that a deer needed at least 6-7 years to get fully grown.
    Not my numbers, I am a newbie and don't know. 402 pounds isn't a deer, it is a small cow!

I have read that by 8 (I think) their teeth are getting pretty worn out and many will die of malnutrition by 10 (I think).
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Believe they are talking about body size when saying full grown.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive year for sure! Was my fourth season and I only managed to bring 1 home. Lost a doe in early October

Was happy with that since I went the past 2 seasons without filling a tag
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

What a nice post, Mark. Thanks for sharing. It sounds to me like you've really learned a lot this year--the son, too. I hope this happens to you, but just because your son moves out doesn't necessarily mean he's gone. Hopefully he'll end up still being your hunting buddy and friend for life.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words Barry. Also thanks for all the help you've given me so that we could have a successful season.

I hope Trey and me are hunting buddies for life, that is my plan anyway! Since he is a teenage, and I am a mean old parent, hunting is about the only thing he wants to do together (I remember those days with my dad). If that is the only time I can get, then I'll be happy with that. I'm happy that I can do something for him that my dad couldn't for me. Someday, I hope he will be able to realize that he had a lot of opportunities as a kid that not everyone gets. Maybe when he's about 30 years old.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Season 1 is complete.
    Seven deer got to ride in the back of my truck.
    We each got two with bow.
    Total cost? Way too much and I don't want to know!
    Experience and memories? Priceless!!!!

My learning curve has been straight up this year. Never having hunted before you can imagine all my trials and tribulations figuring out hunting strategies. I've never owned a modern bow and did everything myself from d-loop to broadhead tuning for me and my son's Martins. I processed 5 deer, having never done more than cut up a steak and eat it prior to this season. I learned how to make sausage. Yum!!!

I went from total greenhorn status to having somewhat of a clue in one season. For that, I have a lot of people to thank including many here on this forum. Thanks to all who have helped me!!!!

My boy got four deer and I got three, he isn't going to let me forget that fact.

We have made a few families happy with meat they didn't have to buy so that is nice feeling.

I learned that my shooter size is bigger than my son's and it hurt his feelings when I said I wouldn't have shot that. Next year I will try keep my mouth shut. I will also keep instilling that you need to let little bucks walk. If you need to fill a tag with a small deer make it a doe.

One of the most valuable things I learned is to know what the size of the quarry is before passing judgement on them. I let a lot of shooters go early in the season because I was thinking a whitetail deer was a lot bigger than they really are. I didn't pass on any trophies, but there were a lot of shooters I didn't shoot.

Here is a list of some interesting whitetail deer facts that you may not know. I took these from this site http://biggestwhitetaildeer.com/whitetail-deer-facts

• The heaviest whitetail deer on record weighed 402 pounds when field dressed. It was taken by a Minnesota hunter in 1926 and had an estimated live weight of 511 pounds.
    • Two whitetail deer can produce 35 offspring in 7 years.
    • The U.S. whitetail deer population consumes 100 billion pounds of native plant food per year or almost 132,000 tons per day.
    • Virginia deer hunters donate 365,000 pounds of venison to soup kitchens and food banks annually in their Hunters for the Hungry program.
    • The typical whitetail world record shot by Milo Hanson in 1993 Saskatchewan scored 213 5/8 and had an inside spread of 27.2 inches.
    • Whitetail deer can run up to 40 miles per hour.
    • Whitetail deer can jump a 9 foot high fence.
    • Whitetail deer can swim 13 miles per hour.
    • Whitetail deer can long jump 30 feet.
    • Whitetail deer and mule deer are the only deer species native to North America.
    • Whitetail deer are fully grown at 4 1/2 years old.
    • Female whitetail deer (doe) are in heat for 30 hours. If they are not bred they go back in heat 28 days later.
    • Whitetail deer antlers grow as much as 1/2 inch per day in spring and summer, making them the fastest growing animal tissue known to man.
    • Whitetail deer fawns weigh between 5 and 7 pounds when born.
    • Whitetail deer fawns can walk slowly on shaky legs 20 minutes after being born.
    • It's estimated there are 30 million whitetail deer in the U.S.
    • Whitetail deer have an average life span of 8 to 11 years.
    • The oldest whitetail deer on record lived to be 19 years old.
    • The average whitetail deer stands 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall and weighs 150 pounds.

We may never have as good of season as this one again. So I am going to be proud of our accomplishments and figure out what we can do better next year.
    I have to disagreee with the whitetail deer site on two points;
    According to dna evidence, the Mule deer is the offspring of a whitetail doe and a Blacktail buck. Blacktails are also native to north America, all along the west Coast, from Mexico to Alaska.
    And about whitetail antler being the fastest growing animal tissue known, what about Elk and Moose? Their antlers also grow in the same time period.
    I agree with all of the rest, especially about shooter size, avoid shooting small deer, it's enough work processing, and you'll get more for your efforts with the larger deer, More sauage!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    And about whitetail antler being the fastest growing animal tissue known, what about Elk and Moose? Their antlers also grow in the same time period.
    I think I read that deer are the only ones with true "antlers" and the rest have horns. Maybe that is what they are getting at? I don't know anything other than you don't eat antlers or horns!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, 4x5 is right about this. You might be right about elk and moose as they grow much larger antlers and are members of the deer family. I Googled and found this:

wc.pima.edu/Bfiero/tucsonecol109/boxes/antlersetc.htm

Hope it works. It did for me.
    Last edited by bfisher; 02-05-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's all good, I only have whitetail to shoot where I am at and that is costly enough. Any of those big critters gets real expensive quick. I'll hone my WT skills before I go after a Moose or Ram.
    Firecat 400