Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Light Arrows?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Good Light Arrows?

I shoot a Martin Exile and i wanted to know what would be a good light arrow to shoot without being too light? Is 7.4gpi too light to shoot at 70# and do you think this will crack my limbs?

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a 350+ grain arrow out of a 7.4 gpi shaft. I shoot Gold Tip Velocity 400s that are 7.4gpi - mine are about 340gr but I'm shooting around 65-67# I love the shafts, super strong and made clean pass on 2 deer this fall.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

That depends on the length of the shaft and the rest of the components making up the arrow. At 70# you should shoot an arrow that weighs at least 350 grains. So choose your components and total their weight. Then figure the weight of the bare shaft cut to length (gpi x length). Add it all up sndd see what you get.

Gold tip has a feature on their website called "Build your own arrow". Use this for a guideline. You can use the 22 series shaft as it weighs 7.3 gpi, or the Velocity 300 which I believe is 7.4 gpi.

Frankly if you're planning a hunting setup I'd shoot a little heavier than that just to make the bow a little more quiet.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Easton Lightspeed 400's for a long time, they come out at 7.4 gpi, and they are pretty tough too.

The trouble with a lot of light shafts is that they are fragile.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly if you're planning a hunting setup I'd shoot a little heavier than that just to make the bow a little more quiet.
    Ya light arrows will guarantee louder bow,been there done that.Not worth the speed gain in my opinion.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro x,Martin mounted ripcord rest,Sword twilight hunter site,G5 maglock quiver,carbonx stab,H&S custom threads.

Post Thanks / Like

With my current set up, I'm pretty happy with where I am at with my Velocity shafts. I think they are insanely strong, have had a few break but that was due to a while shot getting hung up in my garage and a metal shelf. And another broke when I put it through a doe and she hung up on a tree breaking the shaft off.

Aside from that they have been shot quite a bit throughout the year, slapped a bunch of them and then stopped shooting groups because of it.

Was just at Dicks and they have the "off-name" Expedition arrows on sale for $25 - they have the 4" vanes on them that I would strip and refletch, they come in at 8.2gpi vs the 7.4 Velocity. Might look into those, but not 100% sold on a different shaft just yet.

Post Thanks / Like

$25? Is that for a hallf dozen? Even at that it isn't bad. Probably worth it to start out with budget shafts.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I did the math on the goldtip velocity arrows and it came up to 326.9 grains at 28in. with the nock, insert, and fieldpoint factored in. That seems pretty light because i dont want to crack my limbs any time soon. i am shooting the carbon fury arrows right now at 10.6gpi for bird hunting and i was getting 270fps out of those but i wanted to get some hunting arrows for turkey and coyote hunting. I am relatively new to archery and i was wondering why in general the 300 arrows are more grain weight than the 400's?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    $25? Is that for a hallf dozen? Even at that it isn't bad. Probably worth it to start out with budget shafts.
    Yeah $25 per half - at that price I wouldn't think twice about shooting them to heck and back. Even with those, I believe in Gold Tip enough to trust that these aren't exactly "budget typical" shafts. There are definitely some out there that are far more budge than these, that I wouldn't even consider shooting. They are Expedition Hunters 55/75 just renamed.

Post Thanks / Like

Well after a little more research I'm going to try the Easton 400 Flatlines @ 7.4gpi. The CE Mutiny's 250's are at 8.5gpi, so theres a savings of 32.45 grains right there just with the shaft. With the flatlines I should be at 332 with 85gr tips & 347 with 100's.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel