Thread: 2010 Alien X- loose cams?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2010 Alien X- loose cams?

So I am wondering if it is normal to have lateral movement in the cams on a 2010 alien x. I have had some cam lean for a while now and recently decided to swap the top and bottom limbs (css is already shimmed). This did help the lean some, but some lean is still there. In the past I have noticed a small gap between both cam bearings on the side farthest from the riser and the limb. When I had the bow pressed I was looking at this lateral movement and thought that there might need to be a shim or spacer to make it fight snug. Is this gap/play normal? Or should I look into putting a shim in there or have Martin take a look at it? The reason that the css is already shimmed is that the lean was so bad that the cable was trying to jump off of the mod. My dealer talked with martin and they both decided to shim the css in order to reduce the lateral tension on the cam.

Post Thanks / Like

are you sure you have a 2010 bow, the reason i ask is 09 doesn't have the newest cams , they are shimed with plastic shims, 2010 models the bearing reaches ea side of the limb slot without shims and reduces cam lean. there shouldn't be any side to side movement at all !
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

As stated above - if you have the '10 and up style cams you will be able to see a wide sholder on the bearings and they should fit snuggly
    between the limb forks. If you have the '09 bearings without flanges there should be a plastic spacer on each side of the bearings between them
    and the limb forks.
    If it is the flanged bearings and there is a gap - it could be the limb forks were cut a hair wide and putting a spacer to take up the gap would
    fix the lateral play.
    As far as cam lean - that is really limb twist and I dont think that a bit of a gap (altho not correct) would cause lean.
    If the bearings are good and are tight in the cam bores, the cam should still sit square on the axle's.
    I have 2 '09 AX's that I replaced the plain bearings with the new flanged bearings and they fit tight in the limb forks and I have no lean.
    I didn't have any lean with the older bearings either but updated them just to eliminate the plastic washers.
    I also have a '10 AZ and an '11 AZ and none of the bows have any cam lean and none of the bows have the ccs shimmed.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 99% sure it has the newer style flange bearings. There are no plastic washers, and the far outside of the bearing is a silver metal. (reading other posts described the 2010 bearings like this)

Post Thanks / Like

I may have found the root of the cam lean issue. I stripped the bow down and noticed that the pin used to align the top rotocup was sticking out too far and rubbing on the groove. It looks like this caused a teeter-totter situation making it lean to the inside. I pushed the pin all the way in and now it doesnt rub on the groove but it wore down the riser on the inside slightly. Its not a lot, but that small angle may be throwing everything off a little. Any one every experience this?

Post Thanks / Like

I havent had that issue myself but have heard of a few that did.
    If you bought the bow from a dealer - I would take it in to them for warranty.
    Or call Martin customer service and explain the situation to them.