Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with my Nemisis

Post Thanks / Like

Default Problems with my Nemisis UPDATE

Short time ago I did a stupid thing.... I dry fired my bow. Took it to the pro shop and had the string put back on (came off the top cam) and inspected. Looked okay, a couple test shots and it seems to shoot just fine. During league night the more I shot the farther left it went. I'm talking waaaaay left. By the end of the night I was almost 5" left of the X at 20 yds. This is after a windage adjustment of around 3/8" inch. Also the draw module won't stay tight. Took it back in and it was disassembled, shafts inspected, cams inspected, etc. Everything looked okay. Shoots smooth, no vibration. Arrow flight seemed off, hard to tell without a paper tune. Also it was mentioned that the riser looked 'twisted'. He showed me, and it does to me to sorta. Hard to tell if its warped or just a optical illusion. Rest never moved, sight never moved, nock point and peep still good. Either way have no idea whats up. It was suggested to send it back to Martin for a more in depth inspection.

My question is can a riser actually twist? I know now a days there is a lot of metal machined out of the risers, but it seems pretty stout. Kind of lost here, hoping that I didn't totally destroy it. I really love this bow. Currently shooting my Scepter 3, so I'm not without a bow, just without my favorite bow. Any help or ideas is much appreciated.

Here are the bow stats (no pics as its currently "in the mail"....)

2010 Rytera Nemesis---one of the first
    hybrix 1.5 cams
    60lbs weight
    stone mountain string (if I remember, still original)
    skull camo
    Last edited by kenz; 02-27-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any machined aluminum riser from any company can be bent, but it would normally take more than a dryfire to do it. I would lean more towards the problem being with the cams, limbs or roto-cups being damaged or out of spec than the riser, especially on a bridged riser like the Nemesis. If it were the riser..........i would think the change in impact would have been there after the bow was put back together and not gotten worse as you shot. Did the shop check the axles?, and the alignment pins for the roto cups?.........could be one of the alignment pins broke and is allowing the cup(s) to shift as the bow is drawn/shot.........that would affect your left to right point of impact.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

I'm leaning towards the whole riser thing as a optical illusion. They pulled the axles out and inspected, and also put a straight edge on the cams to check for any warpage. Also checked them for cracks, etc. The limbs looked okay, but we didn't take them off the bow for inspection. Also didn't inspect the Roto cups. This would make some sense, as I remember now by the end of the night when I would draw the bow it would visually twist the riser/grip in my hand. I guess I'm really hoping the riser and limbs are fine. If the riser is bad then it would be more feasible to replace the bow. From what I've read the limbs are Barnsdale and they are not made anymore? I wouldn't think twice to replace everything else on the bow.

I've had a Martin bow of one kind or another hanging on my wall since '84, with many thousands of arrows shot, and this was my first dry fire. I can't believe I did that. Makes me want to crawl in the corner and hide.

Post Thanks / Like

Another possiblity could be if one of the screws that secures the riser together let loose.........it would be a long shot, but that would cause the riser to shift at the connection points causing it to twist in your hand as the bow is drawn. That as well as the alignment pin could be repaired fairly easy.
    If one of the bolts secureing the riser sections together did let go.....there would likley be a noticable gap in the riser sections.

Barnsdale is still producing limbs, Martin however is no longer using them as standard equipment on the Ryteras since they came out with the PowerTuff limbs. You can still purchase the Barnsdales direct through Barnsdale or opt for the PowerTuff limbs which would be a bit less costly and hold up just fine.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Did check the joints where the riser comes together. the film dip/paint is not cracked or split. By looking at it you still can't tell its not a one piece riser. As for the Barnsdale limbs, not sure if that's such a big deal anyway. Never had problems with Martin limbs so I'm sure they would work just as fine.

Appreciate the insight and help. If anything I have a lot better understanding as to how its built and why. Hopfully I should hear something back in the next week or so.

Post Thanks / Like

cams could be bent, to check on this , romove the mod. find a flat surface with a hole in it so the bearing can go in the hole . if the cam rocks it's bent if it sets flat without rocking it should be ok. a dry fire usually worps
    the cams . if they arn't strait the string or cable could come off again.
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you're having the bow looked at and this has already been said, but if there is no kind of separation showing at the riser joints then I seriously doubt the riser is bent. There is an alignment pin in the riser under the Roto Cup. Maybe this dislodged during the dry fire and the Roto is sitting on top of it instead of in it's groove. I'd think this would be pretty obvious though.

There are two little pads between the limb and the Roto Cup. Maybe one of these got dislodged. This would allow the limb to sit crooked in the rocker and give the illusion of a bent riser as the limb would appear to be on an angle in relation to the riser.

Whatever, I hope you get it straightened out. I have one and the Nemisis is quite a nice bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't take the cam off, but used a small straight edge on it and they appear fine. But taking them off and laying on a flat surface would be the best way. Right now it should be at the factory, just waiting on any info. I too really like the Nemesis, and in a worse case scenario and I have to replace it, I seriously think I would buy another Nemesis.

And again I really appreciate the very helpful, sincere responses to my dilemma. To many times (on other forums) threads like this are met more with 'flame' than solutions. So thank you to all. And hopefully in the future I can help someone else with a tough problem.

Post Thanks / Like

In alot of the "other" forums (cough) you do get alot of smack talk from fanboys of all manufacturers, saying that "it wouldn't have happened if you'd bought brand X". The nice thing about a dedicated forum like this, is that we all own or have owned or plan to own a Martin, and would rather see the brand grow. So we tend to try to problem solve and help each other as much as we can w/o having our hands physically on the issue. Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the comradery and tell everyone what a great group we have .
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Can you get hold off a draw board to see if the cams are leaning or draw it back and see if there is ??? just something to check
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER