Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions about an old bow (Martin Lynx magnum)

Post Thanks / Like

Default questions about an old bow (Martin Lynx magnum)

This bow is the old kind with wheels instead of cams. It is number 1376.

My questions:

Are there any manuals available for this old bow?
    How many turns can the limb bolts be loosened?
    Are there any bad habits that anyone knows of other than having a really spongy back wall?

I understand if nobody even remembers this bow. I just bought it to start practicing again and get back into the sport. I have not had a 'good' bow since 1990 and got this one with a case, some gold tip 5575 arrows a release and a quiver. It came with a Trophy ridge frontline sight and whisker biscuit rest.

The rest seems like it is too far away from the riser. How far should the arrow be from the riser?

Thanks for any info on this bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post some pics?. We love pics. Welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the triangle things mounted in the cables?

0213021559a.jpg

The arrows look like they should be closer to the riser to me.

0213021559.jpg

The sight has two good pins, the third one has malfunction because the optical strand is fractured all over the place.

0213021558a.jpg0213021558.jpg0213021557.jpg
    Last edited by Gabriel454; 02-13-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It has round wheels instead of cams so it's slow. Oh well I guess there are no cams to be had unless I make them myself because modern cams are too much for it. (What I was told over the phone by a Martin Tech.

So, I'm impatiently awaiting a new dacron string to come in the mail so I can shoot again.

I'm thinking about purchasing a martin Threshold bow. (I can't afford a more expensive one.)

EDIT:: Martin used to send a fiberglass rod with their bows that you can use to take the weight off the limbs by partially drawing the bow and sliding the rod through a specific place on the cam to lock it at partial draw...

Any of those still lying around?
    Last edited by Gabriel454; 02-13-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't seem that there's anything wrong with your rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skbengal View Post
    Doesn't seem that there's anything wrong with your rest.
    Cool. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, that looks like a trophy ridge matrix sight. I have one myself. Call trophy ridge and you can send them your sight. For $15.95 they will replace all five pins for you. I love my sight and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skbengal View Post
    By the way, that looks like a trophy ridge matrix sight. I have one myself. Call trophy ridge and you can send them your sight. For $15.95 they will replace all five pins for you. I love my sight and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new sight.
    Awesome! I had written them an email but they never wrote me back. Maybe phone calls go somewhere? =0)

I know, worst archer in the world right!?! I dropped my bow as I shot it after cranking up the poundage and it landed directly on the sight itself because I tried to catch it again. If I'd have left it alone it would have landed on the bottom cam probably the way it was headed. Anyways, I dropped it on the sight and it destroyed the sight alignment so I might as well take it off and send it somewhere while I wait for my new string to show up in the mail.

Thanks for the much needed tip!

Post Thanks / Like

string torque?

I am not sure whether or not the sight is torqued or if the limbs are no longer straight, but the string intersects the sight at an angle when drawn. Maybe the sight is not in the right position anymore and I'm looking slightly from the left past the string and the angle from anchor point to cam is causing the string to dissect the sight on a diagonal line? I mean the sight, the vertical line where the cams are and the string at anchor point are not on the same plane. What's up with that? does the string guide have that much influence on the position of the limbs, riser, and string?

Post Thanks / Like

ive owned two of these bows in their day. The triangle things are for adjusting the cam roll over. So you can time them together depending on whether you use a release aid or finger shooting.