Thread: Beginners (BAD)Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginners (BAD)Luck

To start things off, a couple months ago I was a complete noob to the archery scene. Back in December I picked up a used Rytera Alien X with the intentions of learning to bow hunt. In what I didn't know at the time was a really bad move I pulled the bow with my fingers just to see if my bum shoulder would take the weight and on let down I derailed it destroying both cams. After spending a month sitting at my local archery shop, Martin fixed my dumb move under warranty. So I go to the shop, buy a cheap (POS) Tru-Fire Patriot release, pick up the bow, and head home. At home, using the newly purchased release I pull the bow again just to see if my shoulder is going to baulk at the weight. Again, in what I didn't know was also a no no, I pulled the bow without an arrow in it. This is something that I had seen numerous supposedly pro-ish archery gurus do on numerous videos so I didn't think twice about it, unfortunately in hindsight I now know that this was a fairly bad move because at nearly full draw my d-loop slipped through the piece of junk release and my bow dry fired again destroying both cams. I really don't expect Martin to once again cover what was somewhat my mistake under warranty. So my question is, how much will it cost me out of pocket to purchase the cams?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum.im not going to poke at you because i bet you have done that to your self enough by now.so i will say one heck of a lesson learned.
    as for the cams price i dont know.if i was you i would call martin cs in the morning and get a price.

some others will proble have a good idea of what it would cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JTRASAP View Post
    To start things off, a couple months ago I was a complete noob to the archery scene. Back in December I picked up a used Rytera Alien X with the intentions of learning to bow hunt. In what I didn't know at the time was a really bad move I pulled the bow with my fingers just to see if my bum shoulder would take the weight and on let down I derailed it destroying both cams. After spending a month sitting at my local archery shop, Martin fixed my dumb move under warranty. So I go to the shop, buy a cheap (POS) Tru-Fire Patriot release, pick up the bow, and head home. At home, using the newly purchased release I pull the bow again just to see if my shoulder is going to baulk at the weight. Again, in what I didn't know was also a no no, I pulled the bow without an arrow in it. This is something that I had seen numerous supposedly pro-ish archery gurus do on numerous videos so I didn't think twice about it, unfortunately in hindsight I now know that this was a fairly bad move because at nearly full draw my d-loop slipped through the piece of junk release and my bow dry fired again destroying both cams. I really don't expect Martin to once again cover what was somewhat my mistake under warranty. So my question is, how much will it cost me out of pocket to purchase the cams?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Sorry to hear about your luck. As far as the tru-fire release. There are set screws in the release head that you have to tighten for the pressure to increase on the claws. I had to send mine into the warranty department of tru-fire and they got it fixed properly. Now my tru-fire is working like a champ. furthermore, Martin might be able to cover the cams. I know when I was messing around with a chrono, I was too close to the ground and my lower cam rode along the cement i was sitting on. Poorly set up on my end, but I called Martin and they replaced my cam and I had to pay for the strings and cables. And then I got rid of that damn chronograph.
    2012 Rytera Nemesis - Sword Twilight Hunter Sight - QAD HD Bone Collector Drop Away - WindJammer 7" Stabilizer - 438 Grain Beman ICS Hunter Elites - G5 T3's & QAD Exodus Swept Back Version

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to give Martin a call in the morning and see what they say. It just seemed to me that the release should be ready to go out of the box.

Kyle, I do see the set screw on it now that you mention it, I'll see if I can get it adjusted in the morning. It's still really aggravating to me that this happened. After some searching it seems that others have had the same luck with the Patriot release. There was a release included in the deal that I got with the bow but the guy didn't send it and ignores my emails when I ask him about it.

I sure wish I could get a chance to shoot this thing but fate seems to have had other plans the last couple times I had it in my hands...

Post Thanks / Like

Call Cs and see what they say. Ask for Joel or Jeremy. Once this is settled take the release back and trade it. If you want a decent, inexpensive release you can try the Truball Stinger. As you have learned now, the hard way, never draw your bow without an arrow nocked and aimed in a safe direction. I assume whatever you do you'll have your shop do the work. I would highly suggest that before you take the bow home next time that you shoot it at the shop with the release you intend to use. In fact, if this is a decent shop he should have a place to shoot and let you try several releases. Heck, pick his brain and he should give you some hands-on advice.

Welcome to the Tech Forums and the world of archery.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

give tru fire a call and tell them you feel that their release failed you and it wrecked your bow. they probably have warranty limitations that dont reach out to damage caused by their product, but you can ask why should you or your bow manufacture be asked to pick up the tab ? tell them you will continue to be a tru fire customer and continue recommending their good service/products if they may consider help spring for a set of cams. they sell a million of these releases most likely they have malfunctioned before and blew a bow up and crossed this bridge before . there is a good chance that the release wasnt fully enclosed on the string, but since it was a new release it could have sifted thru the cracks and not had that set screw properly adjusted.
    tell them you arent expecting a new bow out of the deal just you cant afford to repair it out of pocket after you just blew your extra expense money when you bought their new release . they may want to inspect it and then theres that chance they dont find anything wrong with it so good luck.