Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop away rest for a target bow. Suggestions please.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop away rest for a target bow. Suggestions please.

I'm window shopping for the stuff i would like on my Target only bow. I noticed that the serious Target shooters are using those Blade style spring rests. being a Fob shooter it wouldn't work for fobs. it's either I go no fobs on my target bow or try an happy medium and see if a drop away is good enough for target shooting.

If I don't shoot Fobs through my Target bow I am interested in this rest but in silver.
    TrophyTaker Spring steel Pro

I've heard good things about the G5 Expert pro rest and i was told it was Fob friendly. Would this work for target?. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Simon,
    Get ahold of the ppl. that make the FOBs and see what they have to say on what works best.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Simon,
    Get ahold of the ppl. that make the FOBs and see what they have to say on what works best.
    Don.
    Hi Don. I know that Spring rest won't and I know the G5 will. but I have never owned a target only bow....I wasn't sure if Dropaway's are used in target, Spots. I see Blade rest most of the time. I assume that the blades are more precise. I'd hate not to be able to shoot my much loved fobs out of my new Target bow. I've never owned a target only bow before. I don't know if drop away's are less precise than blade spring rests?. What were your impressions while you were at Vegas?. Any Indoor shooters using Dropaway's?. I am clueless to indoor shooting rigs.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt the TT won't work with FOB's. That's what I have on my "Z", but I use feathers. As for the G5? It would probably work as well as any other drop away rest. I consider them to be like refrigerators. They're all junk; just some junk better than others.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    No doubt the TT won't work with FOB's. That's what I have on my "Z", but I use feathers. As for the G5? It would probably work as well as any other drop away rest. I consider them to be like refrigerators. They're all junk; just some junk better than others.
    Copy that Barry. Would you say that blade spring rests are more precise compared to dropaways?

Post Thanks / Like

Paul at Starrflight likes the TT models, NAP Apache, QAD, (and now the Revolution I understand) the last I chatted with him.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I dont really keep up on this, but - are there Pro Target Archers that use fobs???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    Copy that Barry. Would you say that blade spring rests are more precise compared to dropaways?
    I don't think I'd go so afr as saying blades are more precise. I would sy the are less apt to cause problems over the long haul. Such things as cables/strings stretching can alter the timing of dropaways. I've run across a few occasions where the rest would not raise up all the way due to string/cable creep. The bow starts shooting low and the guy behind the bow is pulling his hair out thinking he's dropping his arm.

Pretty much, with a blade there are no moving parts so once it's tuned and locked down there isn't much to go wrong. Also they do spring a little adding some stability to the arrow as it passes over it. Much like a cushion plunger works for archer's paradox in the horizontal plane.

I'd say give one a try and draw your own conclusions. It's only money. I do honestly think that the popularity of drop away rests is due to a phenomina that I'll call "Monkey see, Monkey do". People buy them because that's what other use without giving other rests much of a thought. TM Hunter comes to mind. This is much the same reason Mathews and Bowtech, etc. are supposedly the best bows on the market. Monkey see, monkey do.

Back in the 70's I had a rest on my target bow (Jennings Arrowstar) called a Dillenbeck. Ever hear of it? Probably not as I was the only guy around with one. I've never seen one on another bow. I like to veer away from the crowd and do my own thing.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    I dont really keep up on this, but - are there Pro Target Archers that use fobs???
    Yes. I know a lot in state tourneys have. I know a few have on a higher level. I used to keep up with the archer's name prior to leaving the fob forum. if I remember correctly John wheeler took 2nd or 3rd in his division with fobs. but don't quote me...I'm having a brain fart right now. I don't keep track like I used to. I'm nowhere near that level. I just want to make sure I'm happy with the bow after I put it all together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I don't think I'd go so afr as saying blades are more precise. I would sy the are less apt to cause problems over the long haul. Such things as cables/strings stretching can alter the timing of dropaways. I've run across a few occasions where the rest would not raise up all the way due to string/cable creep. The bow starts shooting low and the guy behind the bow is pulling his hair out thinking he's dropping his arm.

Pretty much, with a blade there are no moving parts so once it's tuned and locked down there isn't much to go wrong. Also they do spring a little adding some stability to the arrow as it passes over it. Much like a cushion plunger works for archer's paradox in the horizontal plane.

I'd say give one a try and draw your own conclusions. It's only money. I do honestly think that the popularity of drop away rests is due to a phenomina that I'll call "Monkey see, Monkey do". People buy them because that's what other use without giving other rests much of a thought. TM Hunter comes to mind. This is much the same reason Mathews and Bowtech, etc. are supposedly the best bows on the market. Monkey see, monkey do.

Back in the 70's I had a rest on my target bow (Jennings Arrowstar) called a Dillenbeck. Ever hear of it? Probably not as I was the only guy around with one. I've never seen one on another bow. I like to veer away from the crowd and do my own thing.
    Thanks for the input Barry. I will probably give the blade a go and see how I fair with it and conventional fletching. If not I can always resell it. I use fobs because they work for me. I never push them on anybody unless they ask me about them....And I do get Pm's about them here and on AT. Plus I love it when people ask me about them or even hate on them. I like to be different sometimes too. I must be a rebel!. LOL. I was thinking about trying Line cutters which do not work with Fobs anyway.