Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop away rest for a target bow. Suggestions please.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop away rest for a target bow. Suggestions please.

I'm window shopping for the stuff i would like on my Target only bow. I noticed that the serious Target shooters are using those Blade style spring rests. being a Fob shooter it wouldn't work for fobs. it's either I go no fobs on my target bow or try an happy medium and see if a drop away is good enough for target shooting.

If I don't shoot Fobs through my Target bow I am interested in this rest but in silver.
    TrophyTaker Spring steel Pro

I've heard good things about the G5 Expert pro rest and i was told it was Fob friendly. Would this work for target?. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Simon,
    Get ahold of the ppl. that make the FOBs and see what they have to say on what works best.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Simon,
    Get ahold of the ppl. that make the FOBs and see what they have to say on what works best.
    Don.
    Hi Don. I know that Spring rest won't and I know the G5 will. but I have never owned a target only bow....I wasn't sure if Dropaway's are used in target, Spots. I see Blade rest most of the time. I assume that the blades are more precise. I'd hate not to be able to shoot my much loved fobs out of my new Target bow. I've never owned a target only bow before. I don't know if drop away's are less precise than blade spring rests?. What were your impressions while you were at Vegas?. Any Indoor shooters using Dropaway's?. I am clueless to indoor shooting rigs.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt the TT won't work with FOB's. That's what I have on my "Z", but I use feathers. As for the G5? It would probably work as well as any other drop away rest. I consider them to be like refrigerators. They're all junk; just some junk better than others.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    No doubt the TT won't work with FOB's. That's what I have on my "Z", but I use feathers. As for the G5? It would probably work as well as any other drop away rest. I consider them to be like refrigerators. They're all junk; just some junk better than others.
    Copy that Barry. Would you say that blade spring rests are more precise compared to dropaways?

Post Thanks / Like

Paul at Starrflight likes the TT models, NAP Apache, QAD, (and now the Revolution I understand) the last I chatted with him.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I dont really keep up on this, but - are there Pro Target Archers that use fobs???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    Copy that Barry. Would you say that blade spring rests are more precise compared to dropaways?
    I don't think I'd go so afr as saying blades are more precise. I would sy the are less apt to cause problems over the long haul. Such things as cables/strings stretching can alter the timing of dropaways. I've run across a few occasions where the rest would not raise up all the way due to string/cable creep. The bow starts shooting low and the guy behind the bow is pulling his hair out thinking he's dropping his arm.

Pretty much, with a blade there are no moving parts so once it's tuned and locked down there isn't much to go wrong. Also they do spring a little adding some stability to the arrow as it passes over it. Much like a cushion plunger works for archer's paradox in the horizontal plane.

I'd say give one a try and draw your own conclusions. It's only money. I do honestly think that the popularity of drop away rests is due to a phenomina that I'll call "Monkey see, Monkey do". People buy them because that's what other use without giving other rests much of a thought. TM Hunter comes to mind. This is much the same reason Mathews and Bowtech, etc. are supposedly the best bows on the market. Monkey see, monkey do.

Back in the 70's I had a rest on my target bow (Jennings Arrowstar) called a Dillenbeck. Ever hear of it? Probably not as I was the only guy around with one. I've never seen one on another bow. I like to veer away from the crowd and do my own thing.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    I dont really keep up on this, but - are there Pro Target Archers that use fobs???
    Yes. I know a lot in state tourneys have. I know a few have on a higher level. I used to keep up with the archer's name prior to leaving the fob forum. if I remember correctly John wheeler took 2nd or 3rd in his division with fobs. but don't quote me...I'm having a brain fart right now. I don't keep track like I used to. I'm nowhere near that level. I just want to make sure I'm happy with the bow after I put it all together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I don't think I'd go so afr as saying blades are more precise. I would sy the are less apt to cause problems over the long haul. Such things as cables/strings stretching can alter the timing of dropaways. I've run across a few occasions where the rest would not raise up all the way due to string/cable creep. The bow starts shooting low and the guy behind the bow is pulling his hair out thinking he's dropping his arm.

Pretty much, with a blade there are no moving parts so once it's tuned and locked down there isn't much to go wrong. Also they do spring a little adding some stability to the arrow as it passes over it. Much like a cushion plunger works for archer's paradox in the horizontal plane.

I'd say give one a try and draw your own conclusions. It's only money. I do honestly think that the popularity of drop away rests is due to a phenomina that I'll call "Monkey see, Monkey do". People buy them because that's what other use without giving other rests much of a thought. TM Hunter comes to mind. This is much the same reason Mathews and Bowtech, etc. are supposedly the best bows on the market. Monkey see, monkey do.

Back in the 70's I had a rest on my target bow (Jennings Arrowstar) called a Dillenbeck. Ever hear of it? Probably not as I was the only guy around with one. I've never seen one on another bow. I like to veer away from the crowd and do my own thing.
    Thanks for the input Barry. I will probably give the blade a go and see how I fair with it and conventional fletching. If not I can always resell it. I use fobs because they work for me. I never push them on anybody unless they ask me about them....And I do get Pm's about them here and on AT. Plus I love it when people ask me about them or even hate on them. I like to be different sometimes too. I must be a rebel!. LOL. I was thinking about trying Line cutters which do not work with Fobs anyway.