Thread: Pro Shop Techs were stumped...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pro Shop Techs were stumped...

I inherited a bow. It is a Martin Magnum Jaguar. All of the arrows I shoot are about 6 feet too high. I put the sight at its highest point and the pin on the sight at its highest point and even at 10 yards the arrows are jumping above it. From the research I have done it seems like the timing might be off on the cams. Then i looked at the Martin website and noticed that this bow was made with a single cam system, and yet mine has a double cam. I tried to figure out how it has a double cam and can't seem to find any manufacture marks on the cams. The pro shop thought that the timing was off because of two holes that weren't matching with the limbs. I circled the holes in the photos. Anyone have any ideas? the pro shop guys said the knock and arrow rest were in the right positions.2012-02-13 20.08.59 - Copy.jpg2012-02-13 20.09.29 - Copy.jpg2012-02-13 20.09.59.jpgmartin panther bow.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Have someone take a picture of you at full draw at several different angles. Just looking at the pic of the bow it looks like your peep is way to high. IMO I doubt it's cam timing.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

An easy way to check to see if your peep is too high, is to put a target at shoulder height on the wall, and with an arrow nocked, draw the bow with your eyes closed. When you are set, open your eyes and see where the peep is in relation to what you are looking at. You should see that the peep probably needs to come down. Move the peep and try the same thing again, then when the peep is in the right spot, try shooting at the target, and you should have enough adjustment from your sight to make it work for you.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure those are the TruArc cams. If memory serves me right they were available in 2004 and improved upon for 2005 (TruArc+). They are what we referred to as a Hybrid cam. I'm also pretty sure you are correct about those holes being the same relation in referrence to the limb. Something else to look at is whether the modules on each cam are in the same hole. And be careful. These are the original TruArc cams and you need to press the bow to relieve tension on the rigging to move the modules.

That being said the other guys might be right about your peep being too high. Measure it and tell us how far above the nocking point it is. Depending on the bow's draw length it normally will be between 5" and 6" above the nocking point.

Moneyman gave you advice on how to set the peep, but he left something out, Where the peep should be depends on your anchor and your anchor is dependent on whether you have the bow's draw length set at least close to what it should be. Most people anchor with their nose on the string and a kisser button in the corner of their lips. The kisser should only be about 1" above the nocking point. If it is higher then I'm going to suggest that the bow's draw length is too long for you. This will cause you to anchor lower than you should to touch your nose and the resultant high peep sight. This whole works will give you the results you are getting shooting high.

There is a Sticky at the top of the General Section on Archery Talk called
    "The Nuts&Bolts of Archery". It explains a lot about setting up bows, tuning, shooting form and more. Read it and you'll learn a lot.
    Last edited by bfisher; 02-14-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=bfisher;82768]I'm pretty sure those are the TruArc cams. If memory serves me right they were available in 2004 and improved upon for 2005 (TruArc+). They are what we referred to as a Hybrid cam. I'm also pretty sure you are correct about those holes being the same relation in referrence to the limb. Something else to look at is whether the modules on each cam are in the same hole. And be careful. These are the original TruArc cams and you need to press the bow to relieve tension on the rigging to move the modules.

I was able to use a portable bow press and got the cams aligned by twisting the cam string till the circles were in the same position. I also got a "bow square" and am working on using the help from this site to get the bow properly fitted to me. my draw length is 31" and this bow only seems to go to 29.5 or 30, so the bow isn't too big. Just means i will be modifying the positioning if the peep sight and other things along the way. I have read every informative book can get my hands on and have been practicing all I can I am hoping that with all of the modifications I will do to adjust it to me, and all of my practice I will be shooting smaller groupings than 8" soon. Thank you for all of the guidance. This sight is amazing!