Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Onza conversion problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Onza conversion problems

Ok, Switched my 60# Onza over to a slide and STS. Retimed the cams, checked everything for tight, and shot it. Noisy as hell. Rechecked timing, dead on. Then I noticed the cam lean. Top cam is / bottom cam is \ the same amount. ATA is 1/2 long now, BH is 1/4 long now. 60# bow pulling 63#. Before, everything was to spec and quiet. Any ideas? 100_0707.JPG100_0714.JPG
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought with that conversion you were supposed to get new string and cable's!

Post Thanks / Like

SK

I didn't get them, just the guide and rod. Later I asked for a set because the strings were already damaged from the TRG and they sent me a set
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

SK, Martin said I needed to take the bow back to a shop, or send it back in so the strings could be inspected if I wanted a new set. These are still in pretty good shape, so I can live with them for a while still. Still can't figure out this Onza though. Thinking I may have to take it back to a shop, but now the closest one is 1 1/2 hours away. The one 40 miles away dropped Martin this year. Or Martin dropped them. lol
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

I would take the cables and string off, one at a time, measure them and put them back on. Re-time the cams and go from there. When I switched my Onza over I had to shorten the cables to bring it back into specs and raise the draw weight back up. But its quieter than ever now!

As for the cam lean, I think its inherent in this bow, my cams have slight lean as well. Hope this works and good luck!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    SK, Martin said I needed to take the bow back to a shop, or send it back in so the strings could be inspected if I wanted a new set. These are still in pretty good shape, so I can live with them for a while still. Still can't figure out this Onza though. Thinking I may have to take it back to a shop, but now the closest one is 1 1/2 hours away. The one 40 miles away dropped Martin this year. Or Martin dropped them. lol
    I was thinking when you went from ccs to slide setup you gained some length on the stock cables and thats why you needed new set,not saying a set came with the conversion kit.
    I would think if you used the same string and cable you would really have to twist them up to regain specs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    I was thinking when you went from ccs to slide setup you gained some length on the stock cables and thats why you needed new set,not saying a set came with the conversion kit.
    I would think if you used the same string and cable you would really have to twist them up to regain specs!
    If I remember right, I only had to add 1 1/2 twists to one side and 2 to the other to be back into spec with the conversion.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

This is what worries me! I have contacted Joel with Martin's warranty department, while I have replaced the cabels just before I read on here and found out that Martin is aware of that it is an issue, I asked about the cam lean, and if changing the trg/sos to a ccs, would effect the bow at all the (Joel) said no it will not, just give me a more reliable bow! The bow shop I took my bow to (not a Martin dealer) changed the cabels and smoothed the trg out alot. Not having issues with it anymore but I dont want any, so I requested Martin to send me the ccs and string stopper to replace the trg/sos. I am gonna spend so much money with this its not funny. I have no means of working on my bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's face it, the TRG/SOS was, is not the high point in Martins 60 year history. Having fought all the issues mentioned here I feel there is only one true solution. Write up all your concerns, call Joel, ship your bow back to martin for a factory tuneup and string change.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, I think you might be right. Been messing with it all day, and still can't get it where I want it. Looks like I'll be giving Joel a call on Monday. Still have plenty of time before turkey season rolls around here.

Oddly, there was no change whatsoever in my 70# Onza when I switched it over. Was in good tune before, and to spec, and stayed that way.
    BSD strings and cables