Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Onza conversion problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Onza conversion problems

Ok, Switched my 60# Onza over to a slide and STS. Retimed the cams, checked everything for tight, and shot it. Noisy as hell. Rechecked timing, dead on. Then I noticed the cam lean. Top cam is / bottom cam is \ the same amount. ATA is 1/2 long now, BH is 1/4 long now. 60# bow pulling 63#. Before, everything was to spec and quiet. Any ideas? 100_0707.JPG100_0714.JPG
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought with that conversion you were supposed to get new string and cable's!
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro x,Martin mounted ripcord rest,Sword twilight hunter site,G5 maglock quiver,carbonx stab,H&S custom threads.

Post Thanks / Like

SK

I didn't get them, just the guide and rod. Later I asked for a set because the strings were already damaged from the TRG and they sent me a set
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

SK, Martin said I needed to take the bow back to a shop, or send it back in so the strings could be inspected if I wanted a new set. These are still in pretty good shape, so I can live with them for a while still. Still can't figure out this Onza though. Thinking I may have to take it back to a shop, but now the closest one is 1 1/2 hours away. The one 40 miles away dropped Martin this year. Or Martin dropped them. lol
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

I would take the cables and string off, one at a time, measure them and put them back on. Re-time the cams and go from there. When I switched my Onza over I had to shorten the cables to bring it back into specs and raise the draw weight back up. But its quieter than ever now!

As for the cam lean, I think its inherent in this bow, my cams have slight lean as well. Hope this works and good luck!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    SK, Martin said I needed to take the bow back to a shop, or send it back in so the strings could be inspected if I wanted a new set. These are still in pretty good shape, so I can live with them for a while still. Still can't figure out this Onza though. Thinking I may have to take it back to a shop, but now the closest one is 1 1/2 hours away. The one 40 miles away dropped Martin this year. Or Martin dropped them. lol
    I was thinking when you went from ccs to slide setup you gained some length on the stock cables and thats why you needed new set,not saying a set came with the conversion kit.
    I would think if you used the same string and cable you would really have to twist them up to regain specs!
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro x,Martin mounted ripcord rest,Sword twilight hunter site,G5 maglock quiver,carbonx stab,H&S custom threads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    I was thinking when you went from ccs to slide setup you gained some length on the stock cables and thats why you needed new set,not saying a set came with the conversion kit.
    I would think if you used the same string and cable you would really have to twist them up to regain specs!
    If I remember right, I only had to add 1 1/2 twists to one side and 2 to the other to be back into spec with the conversion.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

This is what worries me! I have contacted Joel with Martin's warranty department, while I have replaced the cabels just before I read on here and found out that Martin is aware of that it is an issue, I asked about the cam lean, and if changing the trg/sos to a ccs, would effect the bow at all the (Joel) said no it will not, just give me a more reliable bow! The bow shop I took my bow to (not a Martin dealer) changed the cabels and smoothed the trg out alot. Not having issues with it anymore but I dont want any, so I requested Martin to send me the ccs and string stopper to replace the trg/sos. I am gonna spend so much money with this its not funny. I have no means of working on my bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's face it, the TRG/SOS was, is not the high point in Martins 60 year history. Having fought all the issues mentioned here I feel there is only one true solution. Write up all your concerns, call Joel, ship your bow back to martin for a factory tuneup and string change.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, I think you might be right. Been messing with it all day, and still can't get it where I want it. Looks like I'll be giving Joel a call on Monday. Still have plenty of time before turkey season rolls around here.

Oddly, there was no change whatsoever in my 70# Onza when I switched it over. Was in good tune before, and to spec, and stayed that way.
    BSD strings and cables