Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Onza conversion problems

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing I found this post...i did the conversion on my exile and Martin did send me new strings and cable....however, since mine were still in new condition, I did not change them...should this be donw? is it possible the timing is off now that I removed the TRG cable guide and put the new one on? Now I'm going to have to givve a it a check over...just kinda new to timing and tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Ehunter; what did you decide to do with your Onza? I am going to call tommarow and get mine headed in to Martin. Can't waste anymore time and need new strings again (3rd set in a year), need riser fixed for sts, and see if they can get the poundage back. Somewhere I hear turkeys calling and need this fixed or buy a new bow. Looking around now for a 50lb bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, I tore the bow down completely. Limbs, strings, everything off, lubed the limb pockets and barrel nuts. Measured the strings again, reinstalled them. Put everything back together, and now it is shooting better. ATA and BH are still off, but the draw weight came back down to 61#. I'm guessing the noise had to be in the limb pockets somehow. Cables were the right length, string was just 1/2 off. I'll send it in after Turkey season is over, and have Martin see why it isn't right on ATA and BH.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine's gone, talked to Joel and sent it in to have the riser swapped out, new strings, and tuned. Hope it gets back before Turkey season. If it does'nt I'll use my Diamond Iceman.

Post Thanks / Like

I just changed the trg/sos out to the sts/cabel slide, anything I should look for before shooting?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, your draw weight probably dropped a couple pounds, and you may need to re-tune, but other than than you should be good to go
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Well it felt a little funny so I took it in to my local bow shop, the cams were in time, no cam lean, only thing that changed was to my surprise they tested the draw weight, its at 73#!!! I had them change my draw to 29 1/2" from 29", new arrows are 5 grains less total arrow weight, they have 2" vanes vs. the 4" that were on my others, I shot 6 arrows through the chronograph and 5 of 6 read out at 327 fps!!! I went from 298 fps at 67# 29" to 327 fps at 73# 29 1/2"??? I knew it would change a bit but 19 fps! someones chrono is off??? Maybe??? Anyone have an explaination? Still quiet, no hand shock yo speak of!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how you went up in poundage, but it is what it is. I actually lost about 2 pounds when I did the conversion, and I think most others saw the same. But a jump of 6 pounds pull would add roughly 12 fps, 5 grains loss in arrow weight would gain somewhere around 4, and another 1/2" in length should get you 5-6. So I'd say you're in the ball park. If I'm wrong in my numbers, I'd be glad to hear from someone else on here, cause I'm just piecing together info from memory of other posts...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

My bad! When I bought it I had it set up at 67#, then I turned it up to 70# later, it went up 3# not 6#.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WileyJ View Post
    Well it felt a little funny so I took it in to my local bow shop, the cams were in time, no cam lean, only thing that changed was to my surprise they tested the draw weight, its at 73#
    It took a few shots for my cable slide and guide rod to work into each other when I converted. The draw is much smoother now and more consistent than when I first replaced them. Like me, you were probably tuned into the change so we look for any little thing to be different.
    Firecat 400