Thread: Finally got the new string!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally got the new string!

I successfully installed my new string and was taken aback how much the old string is actually stretched. I did not need to cut away the old string because it was a full inch longer than the new one. I hope I got the right string.

How do I measure where to put the brass nock thing that stops the nock from migrating upwards when you draw the bow? I remember doing this a long time ago back in the late 80's but can't for the life of me remember how now.

I lightly crimped the new nock ring thing around the string so that the arrow, before drawing, is at a 90 degree angle to the string. I checked it with a roofing square, but those are notorious for being non-square. LOL!

The bow is much harder to draw now!!! More than I expected by a lot. I almost can't draw it. This makes me think maybe the string was actually too short. I bought a 36 inch string just like it says on the sticker in the belly... err on the inside of the limb part. Are compound bows bellies called something different?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Now that I have the other string off...

I wish I had not shot so much with the old string because I think not only was it stretched, but it was also stiff and the new string makes the bow feel much better. I tried taking it apart to see how it is put together. I still don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

I took the string off again and untwisted it so that it is exactly 36 inches. I realized that with the twist I put in it, about one twist per 2.5 inches, that I actually shortened the string by about 1/4 inch. So, now the string with the bow at 70 lbs is exactly 36 inches.

I also noticed that the old string must have been put on by someone who only shot lower poundage because it was not 16 strands thick, but 14 strands.

Where do I get clear serving material? Can I use 30lb fishing line? For the moment I served in my peep sight with serving thread from the old string which is now in pieces because I wanted to see how it is put together. I think I have an idea how to make a string by myself now. (Not that I'm going to try!!!)

This is what it looks like. Yes, I served lots of the string. I thought to myself that the more string I serve the more string is protected by the serving and the more durable it will be. I originally wanted the servings to meet together, but then when I tightened the back serve it got shorter than I imagined it should. There are no gaps at all.

This is what it looks like:
    0217022351.jpg

I am concerned about the string now. The ends where the teardrop loops come together are not the same now that they have stretched slightly. The serving on them has gaps in it now about half a mm, but they won't move around any and feel rock solid so maybe they are okay?
    I tried to take a picture of it, but you can't tell there are gaps at all because my phone camera stinks.
    Last edited by Gabriel454; 02-17-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say you jumped in feet first lol! I wouldn't worry so much about the serving, the strings/cables are actually very durable, and the served sections are for areas that have constant contact with external forces such as cams, arrows, stops, etc. As long as you wax and maintain the unserved areas, they should last for quite a while. Which leads me to believe that you should probably bring your served areas to a minimum so that you CAN wax the majority of your strings: wax keeps them healthy by reducing the friction they impart on each other and keeping water out.

If you would like to learn a little more about the function and workings of a compound bow, follow this link http://archeryhistory.com/archerytal...of_Archery.pdf and save the pdf file for future use, it has allot of valuable information.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    I'd say you jumped in feet first lol! I wouldn't worry so much about the serving, the strings/cables are actually very durable, and the served sections are for areas that have constant contact with external forces such as cams, arrows, stops, etc. As long as you wax and maintain the unserved areas, they should last for quite a while. Which leads me to believe that you should probably bring your served areas to a minimum so that you CAN wax the majority of your strings: wax keeps them healthy by reducing the friction they impart on each other and keeping water out.

If you would like to learn a little more about the function and workings of a compound bow, follow this link http://archeryhistory.com/archerytal...of_Archery.pdf and save the pdf file for future use, it has allot of valuable information.
    Thanks! I will gladly check them out!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks wscywabbit!!!

I have just put a few twists in my string so that My back is straighter. I feel like the bow is now where it was before =0) I put 8 full turns in so that means one full turn for every 4.5 inches. I think my draw length is almost 3 inches shorter, but when I draw the bow I can put the string in better alighment with my peep. (peep means eye right?) I have undone the serving for the peep sight because it is no longer in the right position. Funny thing is I might not even need the silicon tub anymore . LOL!