Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: knock stays on bowstring... WHY!?!

Post Thanks / Like

Default knock stays on bowstring... WHY!?!

This is really annoying. The knocks stay on the bowstring when I fire the arrows. I just tuned up my bow completely and WOW! This thing shoots pretty good!! Problem now is that the old string had fewer strands than the new 16 strand string and the serving thread appears to be clear plastic which looks totally awesome, but is thicker. So, now my nocks stick to the string like glue.

What can I do about this? can I get better nocks? The arrows are Gold Tip 5575's and who knows where the nocks came from. They are solid black and came with the arrows/bow.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well most of us use a small emery board and lightly file the nocks so they fit loosely. Or you need to re-serve it. Most arrows nocks should fit just enough to hold steady. But they should be able to come off the string easily.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

what hutch said.x2

i use my thumb to check my nock.if i can't pop my arrow off my string with little effort and if it leaves a dent in my thumb then i know its to tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    what hutch said.x2

i use my thumb to check my nock.if i can't pop my arrow off my string with little effort and if it leaves a dent in my thumb then i know its to tight.
    COOL! thanks guys that helps a lot!!! I just got invited to go to church where there are lots of archers. Maybe God gave me a bow I could afford so I could fit in a little? I hope that's why. =0) I hope I will continue to have food stamps for a while since I won't hunt without a real need to supply myself with food or something. =0)

Post Thanks / Like

Did I read your other thread right? That you had served the string with 30# monofilament? If so then that might be part of the problem. Nobody uses mono any more; haven't for decades now. I remember when I did that I used 12# mono. The size you need depends on the string material being used and the number of strands. Saying your string is 16 strands doesn't tell us much because we don't know what material the string is made of.

In any case, I know hutch mentioned filing the nocks to open up the throat, but this is not the best solution as you can never file two nocks exactly the same. You need to find the right size serving material (fastflight) and serve with it. And you don't need to serve the whole string to protect it as you are now doing. The more serving you put on the string does nothing but add unneeded weight to the string and slow down the bow. Besides, having so much serving on the string can actually hide broken strands and at some point the string could snap without you having been able to see it before hand.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Did I read your other thread right? That you had served the string with 30# monofilament? If so then that might be part of the problem. Nobody uses mono any more; haven't for decades now. I remember when I did that I used 12# mono. The size you need depends on the string material being used and the number of strands. Saying your string is 16 strands doesn't tell us much because we don't know what material the string is made of.

In any case, I know hutch mentioned filing the nocks to open up the throat, but this is not the best solution as you can never file two nocks exactly the same. You need to find the right size serving material (fastflight) and serve with it. And you don't need to serve the whole string to protect it as you are now doing. The more serving you put on the string does nothing but add unneeded weight to the string and slow down the bow. Besides, having so much serving on the string can actually hide broken strands and at some point the string could snap without you having been able to see it before hand.
    Okay, I did not serve the center of the string myself and it is a 16 strand dacron string I bought from a company. I was thinking of using 30# monofilament line because the string has some kind of clear plastic looking serving in the center. Actually, I think that using something like spider wire green fishing line for a bow string would be good because it is sooo strong and so resistant to abrasions which dacron is definitely NOT resistant to abrasions.

I only served an inch and a half on either side of the peep sight. Since it wasn't that far from the sight to the center serving I just went the rest of the way. I will probably remove the serving if I can without damaging the dacron because I will be making my new style of peep sight here pretty quickly when I can make a lost wax mold and make a solid plastic piece which will be stronger and not collapse if I accidentally step on it. Unfortunately, I can't make another one like it because the mold will be destroyed in the process of removing the plastic from the plaster.

Post Thanks / Like

dacron? are you shooting a recurve?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    dacron? are you shooting a recurve?
    He is shooting a much older compound. Still has the tear drop cables I believe.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

reserver it with.022 you should be fine
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    He is shooting a much older compound. Still has the tear drop cables I believe.

Hutch
    Yep!! Martin Lynx Magnum. It still has teardrop cables. Would it be plausible to change to a long string? Would that help with the speed a little? Idk because the set screw in the wheels seems like it would cut the cables and as far as I know the screw is mandatory so there is no creep. Besides, I can time the cams without a bow press as it is set up right now.