Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: categorized sub forum?

Post Thanks / Like

Default categorized sub forum?

I have been wondering if members can get their own sub sections. I mean I want to research everything and ask questions about specific topics like strings in one section, forces and calculations in another, software in another...etc. This way I can ask questions about a custom bow I want to make.

I am finding that this sport will utilize many of my strengths and may help me learn to do things I am not good at like math. I like math, but do not understand it the way other people do. I see forces like percentages like this:

Solid limb

first percentage is the amount of movement that the limb travels whether it be different with draw or whatever. I would say to myself that the limb in it's current setup has X maximum distance traveled through the stroke. The next percentage is the maximum load, whether it be side loading through hand torque or with it's actual desired travel. These would be the maximum allowances before breakage and I would want them to be the biggest numbers I can make them.

Then you would have working percentages which are the forces that overlap and provide performance quality. Kinetic energy, for example, would be a percentage derived from the different aspects such as of draw weight, the distance traveled in any direction, and the maximum potential energy that is stored when drawn to the back wall. Speed would be made up of forces determining the speed the limb is capable of moving and is split into categories like aerodynamic resistance, the speed with which the limb can spring back from the fully drawn position before failure occurs, as well as the relationship between maximum forces slowing the limb and the maximum forces accelerating it.

The WHY of it;

That is nowhere near everything, but I don't know for sure how many groups I have. I would like to use this forum as something like a public design/building log. I might loose the ideas themselves to other companies, but I am not worried about that because I know I can eventually make the best bows in the world if I have enough people making comments and adding to the overall design process. Therefore, I can keep the manufacturing aspect and secrets to myself.

For instance, How light yet durable and strong could I make a riser that is in itself woven into a fractal from carbon fiber and kevlar yarns woven into a fractal from top to bottom that is made up of triangles and hexagons that make up spheres which happen to be the strongest shapes in the
    known universe.

LOL! See what I mean? Then I could show the parts of the bow as percentages of the overall functions which would include damping, strength, forces, and problem areas.

An example of a hunting bow that I might be able to accomplish in this manner in the future:

A bow which has limbs, cams, and risers which vibrate when fired at a resonant frequency that is lower or higher in pitch than an animal can easily hear, or will not carry through air well and therefore make the string the only thing making noise when fired. =0)

Got questions?
    Last edited by Gabriel454; 02-18-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet I could make a bow with 6 limbs. LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

6 limbs ??? sure would be cumberson in a popup blind ! how would you grip something like that? ad 2 more limbs & we could call it the octopus bow !
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    6 limbs ??? sure would be cumberson in a popup blind ! how would you grip something like that? ad 2 more limbs & we could call it the octopus bow !
    No, no, it would be like a quad limb, but with like a 4 inch spread across the top and bottom limbs with two 1/4 inch gaps between 3 limbs all tied together with something like a basket weave around them.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I'd like to accomodate you this site is basically for use by Martin Archery shooters and the products they deliver. If you really feel a need to delve into such detail as you describe then there is a better site for this. It's called www.archerytalk.com, a site also owned and operated by Martin, but open to a much more diverse audience of shooters and bow technicians.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    As much as I'd like to accomodate you this site is basically for use by Martin Archery shooters and the products they deliver. If you really feel a need to delve into such detail as you describe then there is a better site for this. It's called www.archerytalk.com, a site also owned and operated by Martin, but open to a much more diverse audience of shooters and bow technicians.
    Okay. I wish I could get a job at Martin or something cause I feel more comfortable here.

SOrry if my request was rude. I did not mean for it to be. I would be sharing my stuff and I would rather do it with Martin because they are closest and I like their bows. Well, I like the Lynx Magnum at any rate, I've not been able to test their other stuff. Besides, We are even in the same state and I might even be able to go visit if I ever got the money.

Believe it or not, I am trying to start an archery group at my church. The church has had them before and does plenty of archery at their summer camps. The Threshold Bow might be a perfect thing to get several of if I can get the church to let me raise enough money to do that. I personally would only want adults in the group.... but someone else might want to take charge of kids. Maybe even start competitions within the church. (Dunno how that would work without having a *Grand* Prize...) It would also be cool if the same group could help train with the search and rescue so that we can help find people lost in the woods. I once took someone back out of the woods with the light from a cellphone screen and kept her from panicking the whole 4 hours back because I got false information from a bicyclist who had supposedly just come down that trail and she didn't want to go home soon enough so it got dark on us. That's when I learned that you are supposed to turn around and walk away because they will then finally follow you because they do not want to be left in the woods alone when it is getting dark. LOL! Wish I didn't have disabilities... Oh well she told me later that she actually had fun. =0)

I dunno how they will react to hunting, but the many in the church in Colorado hunt. Many are part of Search and Rescue and the fire department. Up here it might be just a bunch of sissies who freak out in the woods by themselves. Yeesh! There's more animals walking around Seattle at night than there are in the woods, but anyways, I'm rambling...
    Last edited by Gabriel454; 02-19-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

it could have three sets of split limbs with your choice of two handles to pick from! you could eliminate risers altogether!
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

How many limbs do you need?.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel454 View Post
    SOrry if my request was rude...
    far from rude,a guy can't get answers unless a question is asked.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Double S; what planet did that come from? Or I guess what year?

Were they any good? They look a little cumbersome... I think I'll have to stick with my Onza!

@ Gabriel; It's people like you that keep innovation coming to our sport and keep us spending money to upgrade every year!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps