Thread: need help finding draw string

Post Thanks / Like

Default need help finding draw string

I have a Martin Magnum Panther from 2001. I am wanting to get new cam cables and a new draw string because they are pretty old,from 2001, and a few strands look like they might be fraying. I am not sure how this bow was taken care of before it was left to me by my father. Is there anything specific to look for in a new draw string? where would people suggest I purchase? any recommended strand numbers or type of material it be made out of? is there a place to just purchase original manufacture stuff? or is that even suggested? I checked Bass Pro and Cabela's and both don't really seem to have anything in the way of cables or draw strings that they sell outside of recurve bows. Would a recurve bow and compound bow have different draw strings they use? I can't find answers to these questions at any pro shop or in any books, so I wanted to see what advice I could get from my peers on here.

here are the specs I got from the Martin website

Let-Off 75%
    Axle Length 33 1/16"
    Brace Height 7 1/4"
    Mass Weight 3 lb. 7 oz.
    Draw Length 26"-31"
    Draw Weights 50#, 60#, 70#
    IBO Speed Rating 306 FPS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

HutchnSon Archery (Hutch and Arrow Splitter on here) make strings. From all the reports, they do a very good job, and they are the cheapest I have seen around. The label on your lower bow limb should tell you what the shooting string and cable lengths are. There are alot of bow string makers out there, Vapor Trail, Winners Choice, H&M, and many others. I just think it's only right to keep it in the Martin family, and plan on having Hutch make any new sets I need in the future. The pics I have seen posted of his work looks second to none, and from the reports of other members on here, they are. Just send him an e-mail on here and he'll be happy to help you!
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Something is amiss here. How do you know the bow is a 2000 model? Did you buy it used? Reason I ask is that in 2000 the bow was offered with Z cams (dual) and Fusion cam (single), If the bow in the picture is yours then it doesn't have either of these cam systems. The bow has TruArc cams which were offered in 2004 and TruArc+ cams were offered in 2005. If you can take and post a closer look (not too close) at the cams I night be able to tell you which you have.

If we can determine that then all we have to do is compare the A2A to something tthe same A2A from one of those years and get you the proper string/cable lengths.

OR, if you can read the sticker on the bottom limb it should have this info. Something else to look for is the serial number. The first two digits of the serial number is the year of manufacture. However, I can tell you that those are TruArc cams which didn't even come out till 2004.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McSpaddenDave View Post
    I have a Martin Magnum Panther from 2001. I am wanting to get new cam cables and a new draw string because they are pretty old,from 2001, and a few strands look like they might be fraying. I am not sure how this bow was taken care of before it was left to me by my father. Is there anything specific to look for in a new draw string? where would people suggest I purchase? any recommended strand numbers or type of material it be made out of? is there a place to just purchase original manufacture stuff? or is that even suggested? I checked Bass Pro and Cabela's and both don't really seem to have anything in the way of cables or draw strings that they sell outside of recurve bows. Would a recurve bow and compound bow have different draw strings they use? I can't find answers to these questions at any pro shop or in any books, so I wanted to see what advice I could get from my peers on here.

here are the specs I got from the Martin website

Let-Off 75%
    Axle Length 33 1/16"
    Brace Height 7 1/4"
    Mass Weight 3 lb. 7 oz.
    Draw Length 26"-31"
    Draw Weights 50#, 60#, 70#
    IBO Speed Rating 306 FPS
    as said above hutch is the in house string builder http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...rings-for-sale! and archerx7 also makes a great set of strings as well.the places you went to probly wont ever be able to help you with new string,they are box stores that sell archery gear but they(most of the time)are not archery techs or bowsmiths.recurve string will not and i repeat will not work on a compound bow,thing will go boom if you were abley to rig it to work lol.pm archerx7 http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...?7555-archerx7 or hutch http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...-n-Son-Archery and im sure you will find the right guy to get them new strings made for you.best of luck

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies to archerx, I forgot he also makes strings.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Something is amiss here. How do you know the bow is a 2000 model? Did you buy it used? Reason I ask is that in 2000 the bow was offered with Z cams (dual) and Fusion cam (single), If the bow in the picture is yours then it doesn't have either of these cam systems. The bow has TruArc cams which were offered in 2004 and TruArc+ cams were offered in 2005. If you can take and post a closer look (not too close) at the cams I night be able to tell you which you have.

If we can determine that then all we have to do is compare the A2A to something tthe same A2A from one of those years and get you the proper string/cable lengths.

OR, if you can read the sticker on the bottom limb it should have this info. Something else to look for is the serial number. The first two digits of the serial number is the year of manufacture. However, I can tell you that those are TruArc cams which didn't even come out till 2004.
    this was my Father's bow. I have no idea where he kept it, but it was in a case. one of the cam cables has two strands split, and the draw string has fraying, no split strands yet though. I just wanted to get the bow in tip top shape before i take it out again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    as said above hutch is the in house string builder http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...rings-for-sale! and archerx7 also makes a great set of strings as well.the places you went to probly wont ever be able to help you with new string,they are box stores that sell archery gear but they(most of the time)are not archery techs or bowsmiths.recurve string will not and i repeat will not work on a compound bow,thing will go boom if you were abley to rig it to work lol.pm archerx7 http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...?7555-archerx7 or hutch http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...-n-Son-Archery and im sure you will find the right guy to get them new strings made for you.best of luck
    Thank you! I always try to get all information i possibly can before I do anything. So I wasn't sure what would work. Thank you for letting me know that there is a difference and where to go to get the right product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McSpaddenDave View Post
    this was my Father's bow. I have no idea where he kept it, but it was in a case. one of the cam cables has two strands split, and the draw string has fraying, no split strands yet though. I just wanted to get the bow in tip top shape before i take it out again.
    on the sticker where is says bow# what are the first 2 numbers and really what is all the info on the bottom limb sticker.i can kind of see the sticker from one of the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

That is an 01 Panther Mag..............but those aren't the cams that would have came on the bow originally. As Barry stated, those are Tru Arc cams from 04 or 05. Somewhere along the line, someone has swapped out the original cam system for the TruArc hybrid cams. The problem with a conversion such as this is getting the correct string/cable lengths so the bow will perform correctly. From what I've been able to come up with, the 04 Phantom Mag with TruArc cams comes the closest to the specs of your Panther, as far as A2A length.

I don't believe the strings on that bow are original, 01 would have been plain black, while 04-05, if memory serves me correctly would have been a black and white combo.

Advantage Custom Strings