Thread: roller cable guards and how martin feels

Post Thanks / Like

Default roller cable guards and how martin feels

People with knowledge of Martin tech itself or close to knowledge. I am not trying to say Martin is making wrong steps. IS THERE A REASON I DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT ROLLER CABLE GUARDS ARE SLIPPING AWAY. (from Martin) I love martins bows but I equally love technology but AM I WRONG?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

you aren't wrong, i think they are sliding back to the old reliable cable rod & slide. the roller guide you refer to martin calls it css. i just got through converting my 3 alien xs to the cable slide system, i built my own! you can't believe how much smoother the bows draw, not as smooth as the onza but eaqual to the nemesis. and just about eliminated all the limb twist and cam lean. on 1 bow the cam lean was so bad i was almost afraid to shoot it for fear the bottom cable would run off the cam, which is just like a dry fire! on this bow i switched the limbs ,top to bottom bottom to top. i couldn't believe how strait it made those cams run, it is the best shooting bow i have ever shot . i also built a device so i can draw my bows all the way thru the whole draw cycle one click at a time , i can stop and look at the cams & see what they are doing, can also set my drop away rest just perfict , can also check the cam timing
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbie Robertson View Post
    People with knowledge of Martin tech itself or close to knowledge. I am not trying to say Martin is making wrong steps. IS THERE A REASON I DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT ROLLER CABLE GUARDS ARE SLIPPING AWAY. (from Martin) I love martins bows but I equally love technology but AM I WRONG?
    i hear ya, it seems as if everybody else out there now is using the roller cable guard and here we are,i love technology to, i personally havent had a problem with the trg yet...but i know most ppl are

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
    i hear ya, it seems as if everybody else out there now is using the roller cable guard and here we are,i love technology to, i personally havent had a problem with the trg yet...but i know most ppl are

A properly set up TRG is still the best option on any bow that you can get it on.

I have mine on a bent/dog leg steel cable rod and I put it exactly where I want it on all my bows.

I think the TRG could be improved only to prevent cable wear and more adjustability. At the end of the day it has the most benefit when put in the right place.

Roller Guard. Please No Never again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gstudt View Post
    A properly set up TRG is still the best option on any bow that you can get it on.

I have mine on a bent/dog leg steel cable rod and I put it exactly where I want it on all my bows.

I think the TRG could be improved only to prevent cable wear and more adjustability. At the end of the day it has the most benefit when put in the right place.

Roller Guard. Please No Never again
    I would respectfully argue this point. IMO the best option has already been developed and it eliminated the cable rod/slide, roller guard, etc. altogether. It's called X cams. No side load at all. Everything, including the cams right down the center of the bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I would respectfully argue this point. IMO the best option has already been developed and it eliminated the cable rod/slide, roller guard, etc. altogether. It's called X cams. No side load at all. Everything, including the cams right down the center of the bow.

agree just not nearly as practical

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    X2.i have not shot a X set up but no doubt it has to be all around best bet.
    i love the ccs,i like the feel of the draw,the added 3-5 lbs of DW,the over all look it gives the bow.im no martin expert so i guess its all IMO kind of thing

Post Thanks / Like

Martin did have what many consider the best cam system ever devised in the Nitrous X cams (2004 - 2007). The biggest objection to it was that it lacked a rock solid wall. This could have easily been fixed with the addition of a draw stop, or dual drop stop (one in each cam).

gstudt, not practical in what way? Because the arrow had to be loaded from the front? It's wasn't like you had to slide the arrow back through for it's entire length. Measure the distance between the string and cables; a few inches, which became second nature after a few shooting sessions. It might be a little slower loading a second arrow in a hunting setup, but I never tried to have a race with a deer. I know some people have trouble with the inner cables hitting the bow arm, but simply altering ones form (for the better) and retraining the brain to shoot thusly, the use of an arm guard for hunting, it would become second nature.

It's no secret that that pulling the cables to the side puts a lot of twist on the limb forks. We call it cam lean when it's the limbs. The shorter the a2a of the bow the more severe that twist becomes. IMO this is one of the biggest contributors to premature limb failure. Some say it's not an issue, but if it weren't I doubt that manufacturers would spend the time and money trying to eliminate it with the use of TRG's, Flex Guards and such.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Not practical in the fact the new line of bows do not give the option for x cams. Don't get me wrong I agree with all u said about x cams. I loved them too.

Think back to the question asked in this thread. It was about roller guards. Until we have the x cam option again we need the best cable guard system to lower the torque caused by cable guards the most.

Every martin I have had with a roller guard I made better via TRG or tilt tamer or some other flex guard.
    Last edited by gstudt; 02-27-2012 at 12:32 PM.