Thread: I'm ready to eat crow...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm ready to eat crow...

Since the new Fury cams were announced, with their huge range of adjust ability, I've been thinking allot about the Nitrous cams on my Onza. Ever since I first got my bow, I've maintained that it couldn't reach the 27.5" AMO draw length at the lower end of it's scale. I maintained that because I have a 28.25" AMO draw, and I've had my bow set on the #1 hole (shortest mod setting), and my draw stop set right at the max rotation of the cams, where their natural cable stops are built in. For all intense purposes, if not for the adjustable draw stop, this WOULD BE the shortest viable draw position for the bow.

After much deliberation, and studying the cams' design, I decided to play with the mod/stop configuration to see where it got me, and I gotta tell you that not only did I learn allot, I was impressed! Here is what I found:

#1 hole, using cable stops : 28.25" AMO draw, 14# of holding weight (80%), 279 fps
    #1 hole, draw stop @ full -: 27.00" AMO draw (1/2" shorter than 2011 specs)
    #2 hole, using draw stop @ 28.25" AMO draw, 15# of holding weight (79%), 284 fps
    #3 hole, using draw stop @ 28.25" AMO draw, 24# of holding weight (34%), 287 fps
    #4 hole, using draw stop @ 28.25" AMO draw, 36# of holding weight (51%), 289 fps
    #4 hole, using cable stops : 29.75 (1/2" increments per hole remain constant)

I can tell you that the #3 and #4 holes set at my draw length there is almost no valley and it would be difficult to maintain, waiting for a shot on an animal. In the end I changed my setup permanently to the #2 hole, using the draw stop to adjust my length...

Bottom line is that I didn't realize how much adjustability there is in these cams, nor did I understand til now how to truly utilize the adjustable draw stop. After seeing what I can do with my setup, I have no doubt that Martin's spec claims for this bow are true!

Bow/Arrow specs: 70# draw, 7 5/16" Brace, 33 5/16" ATA, 384 grain arrow
    Last edited by wscywabbit; 02-23-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Nitrous. ?

Post Thanks / Like

Nitro 2.0 Hybrid cams
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Thanks / Like

my problem is im stuck in the 7th hole. have i read about about xtra long mods or am i dreaming cuz i would turn the let off down. my draw is about 30 not positive, but there isn't any wiggle room on the draw stop
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

With cams that have a draw stop on them, isnt it a bad idea not to use it? i have acu-trak single cam on my exile and was trying to get my 28" module to allow me a 27.5" DL by moving the drawstop backwards....didnt seem to make it shorter and semed to have removed the entire valley. should have bought the onza like i wanted LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    my problem is im stuck in the 7th hole. have i read about about xtra long mods or am i dreaming cuz i would turn the let off down. my draw is about 30 not positive, but there isn't any wiggle room on the draw stop
    I feel for you Boo, I haven't heard of longer mods for these... if you only need a LITTLE wiggle room, you could unwind a couple twists on your shooting string to gain maybe 1/4"...

Quote Originally Posted by rdhj View Post
    With cams that have a draw stop on them, isnt it a bad idea not to use it? i have acu-trak single cam on my exile and was trying to get my 28" module to allow me a 27.5" DL by moving the drawstop backwards....didnt seem to make it shorter and semed to have removed the entire valley. should have bought the onza like i wanted LOL
    Allot of bows don't use draw stops like we do, they use the end rotation of the cams, where they come flat against the cables. But this doesn't give a very "firm" back wall and can even stress the cables. As to the second part of your post; the further you move the draw stop to the "-", the more it will shorten your draw, but it will also shorten the valley and raise the holding weight. If doing that makes your bow uncomfortable at full draw, try putting the next smaller module in and using the draw stop to adjust accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Allot of bows don't use draw stops like we do, they use the end rotation of the cams, where they come flat against the cables. But this doesn't give a very "firm" back wall and can even stress the cables. As to the second part of your post; the further you move the draw stop to the "-", the more it will shorten your draw, but it will also shorten the valley and raise the holding weight. If doing that makes your bow uncomfortable at full draw, try putting the next smaller module in and using the draw stop to adjust accordingly.

i thought of putting the 27 mod back in an messing with the stop...wonder if it would get to 27.5 or close to it

Post Thanks / Like

From what I could tell, you have a little over an inch of draw length movement in the draw stop if you go from one end to the other... I'm sure you could find a half inch