Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Jaguar Take down today and had a few questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bought a Jaguar Take down today and had a few questions.

Hello, today I bought a Jaguar take down and have a few questions about it. I only recently started shooting again, a few week back I dusted off the old 20-30# fiberglass bow I got as a kid, got some carbon arrows to shoot to replace the very battered wooden ones that were with it, and took it down to a range. Had an absolute blast with it and went a few more times. Well today I decided it was time for an upgrade since I was enjoying it so much and I'd lake to make make it a new hobby. I went back to the shop I got my arrows and asked for some assistance choosing a bow. I wanted a take down bow so I could work towards higher draw weights over time. They had me try a couple and after finding one I liked I asked some questions, found out its limbs only went up to 38# which didn't give much room to grow since the one I was enjoying shooting was a 34#. So I asked if they had any in my price range that went higher and they showed me the Jaguar, I didn't like it aesthetically but I sure liked how it felt to shoot and they said it went up to 55# which I liked. So I bought it along with a quiver and various other odds and ends and went to a range at a nearby park. I shot for 2 hours and loved it, wasn't getting too tired like they warned me might happen with the higher weight, and while I am still having trouble aiming(going to classes at the shop soon) I'm definitely improving.

Anyway no idea why I felt the need to say all that haha but here are my questions. First after coming home I decided to read up on the bow and was shocked to see a LOT of threads on forums talking about these bows being prone to limb de-lamination. Has this problem been fixed? Because everything I read has me a little nervous to shoot this bow now. The second question is is the bow supposed to be loud when shot? Mine is quite loud and in fact the loudest I've yet heard from a bow at the range. Is this normal for this bow? I ask because when I first test fired it it scared one of the people who ran the shop and he came rushing around the corner thinking something had gone wrong, I didn't think anything of it at the time as the person helping me didn't seem bothered by it. But at the range a few people commented on how loud it was. Third question if it is normal is there anything that can be done to quiet it down at all? Last question is what should I look for to inspect for damage? I have no reason to suspect any damage or anything but I'd imagine it would be a good habit to develop. I noticed the string at both the bottom and top has 2 fibers unraveled, I'm going to the shop to have this checked tomorrow to see if this is a safety issue which I imagine it must be.

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot it and have fun. If anything happens Martin will take care of you. They have a great reputation for taking care of customers. Enjoy your new bow and welcome to the forum!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

You can put felt under the string at the limb tips and Beaver balls on the string to quiet it down.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with yor bow, it's just not tuned. Yes, recurves need to be tuned as well, the noise that you're hearing is string slap, as the string returns to brace height it will hit the hooks of the recurve, making all that racket. The Jaguar recurve wants about a 7" brace height, twist or un-twist the string untill you get it there. And like compounds, a heavier arrow will help quiet it down. When the Jaguar was first introduced as a recurve, there was a bad batch of recurve limbs, long since improved. As always, should somethimg go wrong, Martin's CS will make it right. Martin compounds seem to most folks to be lower end bows, and resale of them ( or any compound , for that matter ) shows that. Not so with a Martin recurve, as they command high resale prices, remember, Martin has been making recurves for more than 60 years, and the old ones are still bringing high resale prices. I would have that string replaced though.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-03-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info! Glad to hear the limb issue was resolved, its a big load off my mind. I'm going to go to the shop shortly and look into replacing the string, I'll have them run me through adjusting the brace height as well. I did a little reading about it just now(never heard of it till you mentioning it now) and I've got the idea of what to do but this is still new to me so I'd like to have an expert show me in person before I attempt tuning myself. I'll also check out the silencing options if they are cheap, buying the bow and all the odds and ends they recommended yesterday took a big chunk out of my fun budget haha so I might wait on those till next paycheck depending on cost. I think I need to pick up an arrow puller as well. I nearly lost one yesterday when I missed a target, drove it fairly deep into a piece of wood and had I been alone on the range there is no way I could have pulled it myself with my bare hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A_Locomotive View Post
    I think I need to pick up an arrow puller as well. I nearly lost one yesterday when I missed a target, drove it fairly deep into a piece of wood and had I been alone on the range there is no way I could have pulled it myself with my bare hands.
    bring a pocket knife with you so you can chip the wood out of the way,i have had to use ming many times to remove arrows from trees.keep in mind that after a missed shot,naild a tree,sunk it in wood ect...remember to flex them arrows.it would ruin your day if that arrow had a crack in it and it broke off the release and wnt through your hand.not trying to scare you but allway flex your arrow.i shoot compound so i flex every arrow every shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    bring a pocket knife with you so you can chip the wood out of the way,i have had to use ming many times to remove arrows from trees.keep in mind that after a missed shot,naild a tree,sunk it in wood ect...remember to flex them arrows.it would ruin your day if that arrow had a crack in it and it broke off the release and wnt through your hand.not trying to scare you but allway flex your arrow.i shoot compound so i flex every arrow every shot.
    I'll start bringing my knife along and give that a try, no missed shots today so I had no trouble getting my arrows back. Shop was closed unfortunately so I couldn't get the string replaced nor get anything else. So I just checked the string carefully after every couple of shots today, didn't seem to get any worse. The bow is already getting easier to shoot, towards the end of the 2 hours I was shooting today it was getting easier to keep it held back longer. I need to work on my aim though, my grouping is improving but I'm having trouble getting them exactly or near were I want. Most of the time I'd be aiming for one target and they'd wind up on top of it or the left of where I was aiming. But every now and then I'd get it right. I managed to get 2 in the white almost dead center and the rest within the target circle on the farthest target at one point. Going to take a class at the shop this Wednesday to make sure I'm aiming and doing everything correctly, been way to long since I last shot to fully trust my memory. Oh and I have been flexing my arrows after every impact with something other then the hay to check for damage. I'll work on making a habit of doing it more frequently though.
    Last edited by A_Locomotive; 02-26-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you have a sight on your Jaguar, you don't really aim a recurve, what you're doing is called instintive shooting, and you'll improve with lots of practice, like that two hour session you put in the other day. Hold and draw the bow to the same anchor point every time, concentrate on the place you want your arrow to hit, and your subconcious mind will take over and let you know when you're on target. As you get further back from the target, you'll find that about 50-55 yds that the point of your arrow will be on the target, that is your point of aim. Once you find that POA, you will begin what is called gap shooting. Lets say your POA is 55 yds, at 50 yds your arrow point will be below the bullseye, say the bottom of the target, at 45 yds, it would be bottom of the bale. For way more threads on instintive/gap shooting, visit a traditional site like Stickbow's Leatherwall, where this subject is always under disscusion. Heres what I came up with just entering instintive and clicking Instintive. Keep up the practice, and you'll be suprized by what you'll remember.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/searchaction2.cfm
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    You can put felt under the string at the limb tips and Beaver balls on the string to quiet it down.
    a big +1 on the string silencers ( i used a 1/2 amount of "cat whiskers"). i didn't get much out of the limb-felt-treatment though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older Root Archery recurve and tried the rubber whiskers with minimal results. The Beaver balls or Musk Ox wool's worked wonders and are weather proof. The small camo shelf padding does make a difference but I've found that furniture pad felts are awesome on recurve & Oneida limbs.
    http://www.organizeit.com/self-adhes....asp?cmpid=SLI
    http://www.collectionsetc.com/Produc...e-pad-set.aspx
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z